1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arrhenius equation plot

1. Apr 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This isn't a homework question but this thing is disturbing from a long time.
    I attended a class on Arrhenius equation and its plots. One of the plots is disturbing me from long which is the plot between k vs T.
    Arrhenius equation:-
    [tex]k=Ae^{-\frac{E_a}{RT}}[/tex]
    k->Rate constant
    Ea->Activation Energy
    R->Gas constant
    T->Temperature

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since the equation is of the form y=e-1/x, the graph should be like this one:-
    Click Here
    But my teacher made a completely different plot. I constantly said that it shouldn't be like that. Finally, when i checked wikipedia, to my surprise, the teacher was right. Here's the wiki article:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrhenius_plot
    I don't understand why the graph is different from that of y=e-1/x? Can somebody tell me where i am going wrong?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2012 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

arent the wiki graphs log based?

4. Apr 2, 2012 #3
    I am talking about this graph from the wiki page:-
    625px-NO2_Arrhenius_k_against_T.svg.png

No, i don't think this one is log based.

5. Apr 2, 2012 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

okay so the bottom chart is an arrhenius plot plotting 1/T vs ln(k) as defined in the wiki page and the upper chart is the same data but plotting T vs k.

The only thing I can think of is that Ea changes with the square of T causing it to curve upward.

6. Apr 2, 2012 #5

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hey Pranav-Arora! ;)

Here's another one from WolframAlpha.

http://www4c.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP82681a10gc2589cc12cc00000dh1e4827i034cf8?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=20&w=300&h=183&cdf=RangeControl [Broken]

plot[ y=e^(-1/x), {x,0.2,0.5} ]

Doesn't it kind of look like your graph?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  7. Apr 2, 2012 #6
    Hello ILS! :)

Oh yeah, that's look like something which i am looking for. You made the graph for very small values of x but i don't think that this is correct because in the wiki graph, temperature is increasing to high numbers but it isn't turning like to be that of y=e^(-1/x).

Ea changes with the square of T? I will have to check that out.

8. Apr 2, 2012 #7

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Well, the formula is undoubtedly based on the shape of the graph when plotting ln k versus 1/T.
    Then you apparently get the graph:

500px-NO2_Arrhenius_lnk_against_T%5E-1.svg.png

This is approximated by a straight line.

With the relationship ##\ln k = c_1 - c_2 \cdot \frac 1 T##, you can deduce that ##k=A e^{-\frac B T}##.

When I make an approximation of this, I get the following graph:

http://www3.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP65161a10geiaaagg40a900000h0fa40fba06a13c?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=30&w=300&h=191&cdf=RangeControl [Broken]
    plot[ k=18e9 * e^(-13000/t), {t,590,660} ]

Doesn't this kind of fit the expected graph?

9. Apr 3, 2012 #8
    How did you get this relation? :uhh:

10. Apr 3, 2012 #9

I like Serena

Homework Helper

A straight line is defined by the equation:
    $$y = a x + b \qquad\qquad (1)$$
    where ##a## is the slope of the line, and ##b## is the y-coordinate where the line intersects the y-axis (the y-intercept).

When we fit a straight line to a set of points, we try to find out what ##a## and ##b## have to be.

In this case we have ##\ln k## on the y-axis, and ##\frac 1 T## on the x-axis.
    So we replace ##y## in equation (1) by ##\ln k##, and we replace ##x## by ##\frac 1 T##.

The result is:
    $$\ln k = a \cdot \frac 1 T + b$$

Since we already know that the line slopes down, I have taken the liberty of putting in a minus sign, and rewriting the equation with different constants ##c_1## and ##c_2## as:
    $$\ln k = c_1 - c_2 \cdot \frac 1 T$$

11. Apr 3, 2012 #10
    I already knew about the straight line stuff, i was getting confused with those constant c1 and c2.
    Thank you for the help! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook