1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arrhenius equation

1. Mar 2, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A common rule of thumb is that temperature 10 degrees C for many reactions will double the reaction rate. Derive under what conditions this is true.

2. Relevant equations
    ln(k) - ln(2k) = (-Ea/R) [(1/T1)-(1/T2)]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know I have to start off by plugging in values for T1 and T2, but what exactly am I trying to solve for? My teacher said to solve for Ea, but that is the measure of kinetic energy needed for reaction....what do I solve for when looking for reaction rate?

Also, can I leave the rate constants in or should I plug in actual values for those as well?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2008 #2
    I had the exact same question on a quiz, but instead we were given the room temperature. Indeed you do want to solve for Ea. You'll want to plug in values for ln k & temp. Think arbitrary values for what you want to plug in for the numbers, as long as they all relate to each other.
  4. Mar 2, 2008 #3
    But what value of Ea am I looking for? If I'm plugging in all my values into that equation that I typed up there, of course I'll just get a value for Ea.
    And why am I solving for Ea anyway? How will I know what the reaction rate is if I know Ea?
  5. Mar 2, 2008 #4
    The equation you are using is incorrect.

6. Mar 2, 2008 #5
    I'm using the same equation as that....I'm just changing the locations of the corresponding k1/T1 and k2/T2 values.
  7. Mar 3, 2008 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Nice derivation, Roco. Rewrite the expression and solve for Ea. Use "T1+10" in place of "T2".
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?