Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arrival (upcoming SF movie)

Tags:
  1. Aug 19, 2016 #1
    Thought I'd share this in the SF forum... What interests me regarding this movie is that language seems to be an important theme in the story and that the director also directed Sicario, which I liked.

Trailer 1:

Trailer 2:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2016 #2
    Let me know when it ... ahem ... arrives.

4. Aug 19, 2016 #3

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

Also intrigued and somewhat hyped! Can't wait to have my expectations shattered!

5. Aug 19, 2016 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Google (you do know how to use Google don't you :smile:) says

Arrival will arrive in theaters on November 11th.

6. Aug 19, 2016 #5
    :oldlaugh:

7. Aug 19, 2016 #6
    I only use lmgtfy.com, it's user friendly.
    At the eleventh hour?

8. Aug 23, 2016 #7
    I don't know whats worse.
    That pun.... or the fact I chuckled at that pun! lol

Movie looks great! I will be seeing it in the theatre for sure!

9. Aug 23, 2016 #8

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Some people just have no sense of humor.

Oh ... wait ... that's me. Damn.

:smile:

10. Aug 23, 2016 #9
    Straight replies are must a lure to make more puns ... arrive.

11. Sep 19, 2016 #10

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

Ooh, yes. Venice festival reviews are painting just the right picture of the film. More hype.

12. Sep 19, 2016 #11
    That is cool, I am looking forward to seeing it! :smile:

13. Nov 11, 2016 #12

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

You know that feeling when you go to watch a film and you're so loaded with hype that you know there's just no way it's not going to disappoint, but then it doesn't? No? Yeah, neither did I. :smile:
    Seriously, go watch it. It's great.

14. Nov 11, 2016 #13
    Monday afternoon for me. Scouting for Boss Lady. Doesn't look to be getting the screen time here, only screen showing it in any theater.

15. Dec 6, 2016 #14
    I think there's some debate among linguists about how the movie addresses communication. It relies on an established theory (the "Sapir-Whorf" theory) that argues that the language we speak shapes how we view the environment we're in. This idea had a lot of advocates for a very long time. More recently, others have argued the opposite: that language reflects culture and environment. I think most linguists agree with the latter these days, though I could be wrong. I haven't seen Arrival, and I'm not too much of a stickler, but I'm curious to see how they address it.

16. Dec 6, 2016 #15

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

The ways in which the language in Arrival shapes thought is the main 'fiction' element of this SF.
    Having said that, the Saphir-Whorf hypothesis is most certainly not entertained in its original form by linguists, as it was far-fetched in how rigidly it saw the connection, and for which it never garnered any evidence - that's why it's still a hypothesis rather than an 'established theory'. To the film's credit, the only person mentioning it is a physicist in a dream.
    For a modern look on the issue look up Lera Boroditsky's research and public talks.

17. Dec 6, 2016 #16
    Great information! I'm halfway through a book about it and it's interesting stuff.

18. Dec 8, 2016 #17
    Saw it the other day. I would rank it behind Contact and District 9 which I found more engaging.

19. Dec 8, 2016 #18
    I liked "Contact" despite some real flaws in the plot. "District 9" was a "teach the discriminator about discrimination" movie, so :yawn:

I saw this one again yesterday, I enjoyed it more on the second viewing, I could keep the plot straight. No "what the heck" musings that made me miss things the first time viewing it.

20. Mar 2, 2017 #19
    I've forgotten to post here... :smile: I've seen Arrival and I liked it a lot. Nice atmosphere. I have only seen it once, and I want to see it again.

I also liked Contact, it's one of my favorite SF movies. The intro scene in that movie is amazing, IMO. By the way, which plot flaws in that movie are you thinking about?

And here is the Contact trailer if there is anyone reading this thread who has not seen the movie:

21. Mar 2, 2017 #20

mheslep

Gold Member

Assuming the FTL, transporting anyone to a place with unkown alien life and then bringing them back to earth risking back contamination is absurd, at least with no plot device to explain it away. The alien mind-reading only approach to contact in the film makes sense, but the humans planning the mission had no way of knowing that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted