Arrow of time and its reversal on a IBM quantum computer

In summary, the paper discusses a quantum algorithm that can reverse a given quantum state by including complex conjugation, which is usually considered improbable in nature. This raises questions about whether time reversal is possible in simulations on quantum computers and classical computers. While some consider this to be a profound achievement, others argue that it is not as significant as claimed. However, it is noted that this achievement is similar to simulating a perpetual pendulum on a computer.
andrew s 1905
I would like to know what the implications of this paper are https://arxiv.org/abs/1712.10057.

They say " Here we show that, while in nature the complex conjugation needed for time reversal is exponentially improbable, one can design a quantum algorithm that includes complex conjugation and thus reverses a given quantum state."

Is this true time reversal does the arrow of time reverse at least in the simulation?

Regards Andrew

Physics news on Phys.org
If they reversed time on a quantum computer, then we (my collaborators and me) reversed time on a classical computer:
https://arxiv.org/abs/1011.4173v5
See in particular Figs. 2, 3 and 4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes andrew s 1905
I often reverse the arrow of time using the rewind button on my TV remote control!

Likes DennisN, Demystifier and DrClaude
PeroK said:
I often reverse the arrow of time using the rewind button on my TV remote control!
Such godlike powers were not meant for mere mortals.

Ok thanks I see it was not as profound as claimed.
Just for the record I I have a simulation of a perpetual pendulum running on my computer. Seems the paper is in this class of achievement albeit on a quantum computer.

Thanks again Andrew

Likes Demystifier and PeroK

1. What is the arrow of time?

The arrow of time refers to the concept that time moves in one direction, from past to present to future. It is a fundamental aspect of our understanding of the universe and is closely related to the concept of entropy.

2. How does the arrow of time relate to quantum computing?

Quantum computing is based on the principles of quantum mechanics, which allow for the existence of superposition and entanglement. These concepts are closely related to the arrow of time, as they suggest that the direction of time is not always linear and can be reversed or manipulated.

3. Can the arrow of time be reversed on an IBM quantum computer?

While the concept of time reversal has been explored in quantum mechanics, it is not currently possible to reverse the arrow of time on an IBM quantum computer. However, researchers are working towards developing algorithms and techniques that may one day allow for this possibility.

4. What are the potential implications of reversing the arrow of time on an IBM quantum computer?

If the arrow of time could be reversed on a quantum computer, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and could potentially lead to advancements in fields such as cryptography, simulation, and optimization.

5. What challenges need to be overcome in order to reverse the arrow of time on a quantum computer?

There are several challenges that need to be addressed in order to reverse the arrow of time on a quantum computer. These include developing more advanced algorithms, improving the stability and coherence of quantum systems, and overcoming the effects of decoherence and noise.