Adding Arrows to a Line in LaTeX

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Dustinsfl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex Line
In summary: The result should be something like this:Ipe 7.0.10Copyright (C) 2009-2013, Sebastian Faerber and others.This is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modifyit under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published bythe Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or(at your option) any later version.Ipe is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty ofMERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
Dustinsfl
How can I add a couple arrows on this line?
Code:
\draw (3.14,-3.14) -- (3.14,3.14

Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
How can I add a couple arrows on this line?
Code:
\draw (3.14,-3.14) -- (3.14,3.14

This will do I guess,

Code:
\draw [<->](3.14,-3.14) -- (3.14,3.14);

Sudharaka said:
This will do I guess,

Code:
\draw [<->](3.14,-3.14) -- (3.14,3.14);
Code:
^
|
^
|
I am looking for something like this.

dwsmith said:
Code:
^
|
^
|
I am looking for something like this.

Then the following may help.

Code:
\draw [->>](3.14,-3.14) -- (3.14,3.14);

There is a drawing editor called Ipe extensible drawing editor which can be used to include figures in LaTeX documents. I am using this for a long time now and I find it quite handy. Since I saw a couple of threads made by you regarding drawing figures in LaTeX, thought you might be interested in this. :)

[->>] produced the arrow heads right behind each other. Is there a way to put arrows at 1/3 intervals on the line?

Sudharaka said:
There is a drawing editor called Ipe extensible drawing editor which can be used to include figures in LaTeX documents. I am using this for a long time now and I find it quite handy. Since I saw a couple of threads made by you regarding drawing figures in LaTeX, thought you might be interested in this. :)

So I downloaded 7.0.1 but it says I need the 7.0.0 directories. Where do I get those at? How do I set it up once I have everything?

dwsmith said:
[->>] produced the arrow heads right behind each other. Is there a way to put arrows at 1/3 intervals on the line?
The code

Code:
 \usetikzlibrary{decorations.markings}
  \begin{tikzpicture}
 \draw[decoration={

markings,% switch on markings

mark=at position .66 with {\arrow{>}},

mark=at position 1 with {\arrow{>}}},

postaction={decorate}] (0,0) -- (0,1);

\end{tikzpicture}

produces this:

View attachment 353

The option decoration can be given to the environments tikzpicture or scope instead of individual draw commands. Then you can use the postaction={decorate} option only in certain draw commands.

For more information, see section 30.5 and in in particular 30.5.1 on p. 331 of TikZ manual v. 2.10.

Attachments

• double-arrow.png
    double-arrow.png
    179 bytes · Views: 48
dwsmith said:
So I downloaded 7.0.1 but it says I need the 7.0.0 directories. Where do I get those at? How do I set it up once I have everything?

Please unzip the zip file you have downloaded and read the read-me file in it. There you will find that you need a file called, ipe-7.0.0-dependencies-win.zip. That can be downloaded http://fr.sourceforge.jp/projects/sfnet_ipe7/downloads/ipe/ipe-7.0.0-dependencies-win.zip/. Proceed as the read-me file instructs.

Sudharaka said:
Please unzip the zip file you have downloaded and read the read-me file in it. There you will find that you need a file called, ipe-7.0.0-dependencies-win.zip. That can be downloaded http://fr.sourceforge.jp/projects/sfnet_ipe7/downloads/ipe/ipe-7.0.0-dependencies-win.zip/. Proceed as the read-me file instructs.

Where do I save the files? How do I tell Winedt to interact with it?

dwsmith said:
Where do I save the files? How do I tell Winedt to interact with it?

Did you do what the read-me tells? Just unzip the "ipe-7.0.0-dependencies-win.zip" to the previously unzipped Ipe folder(where the read-me file lies). Then go to ipe-7.0.10-win--> ipe-7.0.10--> bin-- >ipe

1. How can I add an arrow to a line in LaTeX?

To add an arrow to a line in LaTeX, you can use the \overrightarrow or \overleftarrow commands. These commands require the use of the "amsmath" package, which can be included in your document's preamble.

2. Can I customize the appearance of the arrow when adding it to a line in LaTeX?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of the arrow by using the \xrightarrow or \xleftarrow commands. These commands allow you to specify the length, width, and style of the arrow, as well as the text that should be placed above or below the arrow.

3. How do I add multiple arrows to a line in LaTeX?

To add multiple arrows to a line in LaTeX, you can use the \overleftrightarrow or \overbrace commands. These commands allow you to place arrows on both sides of the line, or add a brace with an arrow above or below the line.

4. Is it possible to add a curved arrow to a line in LaTeX?

Yes, you can add a curved arrow to a line in LaTeX by using the \curvearrowright or \curvearrowleft commands. These commands allow you to specify the curvature of the arrow and the text that should be placed above or below it.

5. Are there any other packages or commands I can use to add arrows to a line in LaTeX?

Yes, there are several other packages and commands that can be used to add arrows to a line in LaTeX, such as the "tikz-cd" package and the \xmapsto command. These options may offer more advanced customization options, but may also require more knowledge of LaTeX.