1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arrrgh help

1. Dec 1, 2005 #1
    Arrrgh help!!

There are 3 particles all with the same mass connected by rods to a central point all making 120 degrees with each other. All the rods are conected (kinda like making a triangle with little balls on the corners). So this thing is sitting in a plane, with no friction, just smooth surface. If I apply a force perpendicular to one of these little arms (rods) the body will start a free spin, and up to that point I understand. What I don't know is: after I apply the force, does the body displace (it's center of mass) on a straight line? or does applying force into one of the rods make it not only spin but also vector out? If so, how do I calculate this vector...
    What you usually think it should do is displace, but wouldn't that be thanks to the friction? So really, if there is no friction, I should go on a straing line right?
    Thanks for the advice in advanced
    Ion Aphis
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The applied force will cause the object to both translate and rotate:
    (1) It will accelerate the center of mass of the object (balls + rods) per Newton's 2nd law: [itex]\vec{F} = m \vec{a}[/itex]. Thus the center of mass will accelerate in the direction of the force. (If you maintain the force in a constant direction, it will move in a straight line.)

(2) It will exert a torque about the center of mass, imparting an angular acceleration per Newton's 2nd law for rotation: [itex]\tau = I \alpha[/itex]​
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?