Motion: Understanding Force Displacement

In summary: Thus the object will also spin about its center of mass.In summary, when a force is applied to an object with 3 particles connected by rods in a plane with no friction, the object will both translate and rotate. The applied force will cause the center of mass to accelerate in the direction of the force, and also exert a torque about the center of mass causing the object to spin.
IonAphis
Arrrgh help!

There are 3 particles all with the same mass connected by rods to a central point all making 120 degrees with each other. All the rods are conected (kinda like making a triangle with little balls on the corners). So this thing is sitting in a plane, with no friction, just smooth surface. If I apply a force perpendicular to one of these little arms (rods) the body will start a free spin, and up to that point I understand. What I don't know is: after I apply the force, does the body displace (it's center of mass) on a straight line? or does applying force into one of the rods make it not only spin but also vector out? If so, how do I calculate this vector...
What you usually think it should do is displace, but wouldn't that be thanks to the friction? So really, if there is no friction, I should go on a straing line right?
Thanks for the advice in advanced
Ion Aphis

Physics news on Phys.org
The applied force will cause the object to both translate and rotate:
(1) It will accelerate the center of mass of the object (balls + rods) per Newton's 2nd law: [itex]\vec{F} = m \vec{a}[/itex]. Thus the center of mass will accelerate in the direction of the force. (If you maintain the force in a constant direction, it will move in a straight line.)

(2) It will exert a torque about the center of mass, imparting an angular acceleration per Newton's 2nd law for rotation: [itex]\tau = I \alpha[/itex]​

Hello Ion,

Thank you for your question. It seems like you have a system of particles connected by rods, forming a triangle shape. When a force is applied perpendicular to one of the rods, the system begins to spin freely. You are wondering if the center of mass of the system will also displace in a straight line or if there will be a vector component to its motion.

In this scenario, the force applied to the rod will cause the system to rotate around its center of mass. This means that the center of mass will not displace in a straight line, but rather it will follow a circular path. The direction of this circular path will depend on the direction of the force applied and the initial conditions of the system.

The concept of friction does not directly apply to this scenario since there is no surface for the system to slide or roll on. However, there may be some resistance due to air resistance or other factors, which could affect the motion of the system. In order to calculate the vector component of the motion, you would need to know the magnitude and direction of the applied force, as well as the initial conditions of the system such as its mass, moment of inertia, and initial angular velocity.

I hope this helps clarify the motion of the system in this scenario. Keep exploring and asking questions, that's how we scientists learn and make new discoveries! Best of luck with your studies.

Sincerely,

What is motion?

Motion is the change in position of an object over time, typically measured in terms of distance and time.

What is force?

Force is a push or pull that can cause an object to accelerate or change its state of motion.

What is displacement?

Displacement is the distance and direction of an object's change in position from its starting point.

How are force and displacement related?

Force is directly related to displacement through Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that force is equal to mass times acceleration. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its displacement will be.

How can understanding force displacement help in real-world applications?

Understanding force displacement can help in many real-world scenarios, such as designing safer and more efficient transportation systems, predicting the trajectory of projectiles, and creating more resilient buildings and structures. It can also aid in improving athletic performance and preventing injuries in sports. Additionally, understanding force displacement is crucial in fields such as engineering, physics, and biomechanics.