Quantum and Laser Technology interview tomorrow

In summary, the conversation is about an upcoming interview for a university course in Physics with Quantum and Laser Technology. The person is unsure about their choice of subject and asks for suggestions on what to read up on. They discuss the importance of being honest in the interview and the person's interest in Quantum Cascade Lasers. They also mention other universities they have applied to and their responses. The conversation ends with well wishes for the interview and exams.
jimmy p
Gold Member
Arrrrrghhhh!

ARGH! I have an interview with a university tomorrow! I don't know anything about the subject i have applied for - Physics with Quantum and Laser Technology.

Do they ask you about why you chose the subject?? Can anyone suggest some links i can read up on?

Physics news on Phys.org

Originally posted by jimmy p
Do they ask you about why you chose the subject??
Very likely...
Can anyone suggest some links i can read up on?
No, but I'd start here: why did you choose this? What are your honest reasons?

... the name looked fancy! i was drawn in by that. Also i do like quantum physics a lot, and this has quite a bit to do with quantum tunneling and quantum cascade lasers...but reading up on it more, I am not sure if it is the course for me..

... the name looked fancy! i was drawn in by that. Also I do like quantum physics a lot, and this has quite a bit to do with quantum tunneling and quantum cascade lasers...but reading up on it more, I am not sure if it is the course for me..
Chopnik - you have an interest in Quantum Cascade Lasers too?? You "are" my son!

But I can't help you with this problem. Good luck though!

... the name looked fancy! i was drawn in by that.
ok. obviously in the interview you don't tell them this!:wink:
Also i do like quantum physics a lot, and this has quite a bit to do with quantum tunneling and quantum cascade lasers...
Ok, this is a great place to start.
but reading up on it more, I am not sure if it is the course for me..
Personally, I think it would be fine for you to be straight with them. Your researching the subject speaks very well for you. View your research as an experiment, and, as my chem teacher used to say, "there is no such thing as a failed experiment, only one which did not give the results you hypothesized."

It sort of begs the question... what would you rather do, and that leaves an "I don't know"... or do you have some other ideas you might be able to follow up with? Still, I think even an I don't know - due to your change in perspective - should be just fine.

The initial interview is usually just a basic screen for basic "seriousness", general intellectual ability, and right-mindedness as far as getting through a university curriculum. Based on what you've said, I think you can show them that.

my two cents.

OK, it's "tomorrow"; how did it go, Jimmy?

how'd it go?? Oh, not too bad i suppose... I'm not sure. They have offered me a place if i can get a B and a C in maths and physics. But the head professor called me an anomaly cos my GCSE's showed that i did better in creative subjects like English, German and Music than in sciences, so he says he isn't sure about me. But i did impress him with my knowledge!

What uni?

Exeter University.

Hi Jimmy,

sounds like it went quite well... I wish you success. Is Exeter your first choice? (Are you applying to other places too?)

The university selection process has changed in UK now, because they found that universities that weren't 'first or second' choice were more likely to reject applications, so they don't really do that any more, or they keep the order secret from the universities, to make it fair.

I have applied to Surrey, Kent, York, Bristol and Reading as well. York said no, Surrey wants me to have an interview, Reading have conditionally offered me a place without an interview, Bristol are taking the piss and Kent haven't bothered to reply yet!

Originally posted by firefly
Hi Jimmy,

sounds like it went quite well... I wish you success. Is Exeter your first choice? (Are you applying to other places too?)

oh yeah, thank you!

I have applied to Surrey, Kent, York, Bristol and Reading as well. York said no, Surrey wants me to have an interview, Reading have conditionally offered me a place without an interview, Bristol are taking the piss and Kent haven't bothered to reply yet!

I guess some success is better than none.

Jimmy,

you're quite welcome. I'm afraid I'm a bit rusty on BritSpeak... what is taking the piss? Some places do take their sweet time.

edit: removed superfluous q. :smile:

Last edited:
Taking the piss = messing someone around. Basically the said i need AAC to get into their uni but if i go up there and do a physics/maths test then if i pass they will consider my application again... whatever bristol...

Ahhhhh... all is clear now. buggers.

well, good luck on your exams (A levels I suppose unless they changed that system too) and for the interview with Surrey.

Bastard! You never told me about no damn interview! lol, glad it all went ok no doubt i will speak to you soon about it though.

1. What is quantum technology?

Quantum technology is a field of science that studies and utilizes the principles of quantum mechanics to create new technologies. It involves the manipulation and control of the behavior of particles at the quantum level to achieve specific tasks and functionalities.

2. How is quantum technology different from traditional technology?

Quantum technology differs from traditional technology in several ways. Traditional technology is based on classical physics, which follows certain rules and principles that govern the behavior of macroscopic objects. Quantum technology, on the other hand, deals with particles at the subatomic level and follows the principles of quantum mechanics, which can exhibit behaviors that are not possible in the classical world.

3. What is laser technology and how is it related to quantum technology?

Laser technology is the use of lasers, which are devices that emit a narrow and intense beam of light, for various applications such as cutting, welding, and communication. Laser technology is closely related to quantum technology as the principles of quantum mechanics are used in the development of lasers. For example, the process of stimulated emission, which is the basis of laser operation, is a quantum phenomenon.

4. What are some potential applications of quantum and laser technology?

Quantum and laser technology have a wide range of potential applications in fields such as communication, computing, sensing, and healthcare. Some examples include quantum computers, which have the potential to solve complex problems, and quantum sensors, which can detect the smallest changes in the environment. Laser technology is also used in medical imaging and surgery, as well as in telecommunications for high-speed data transfer.

5. What are the current challenges in the development of quantum and laser technology?

Some of the current challenges in the development of quantum and laser technology include maintaining the stability and coherence of quantum systems, scaling up quantum systems to handle more complex tasks, and reducing the cost of production. In laser technology, challenges include improving precision and control of laser beams, as well as developing more efficient and compact laser sources.