Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arrrrrghhhh

1. Feb 11, 2004 #1

jimmy p

Gold Member

Arrrrrghhhh!!

ARGH!!! I have an interview with a university tomorrow! I dont know anything about the subject i have applied for - Physics with Quantum and Laser Technology.

Do they ask you about why you chose the subject?? Can anyone suggest some links i can read up on?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2004 #2
    Re: Arrrrrghhhh!!

Very likely...
    No, but I'd start here: why did you choose this? What are your honest reasons?

4. Feb 11, 2004 #3

jimmy p

Gold Member

... the name looked fancy!!! i was drawn in by that. Also i do like quantum physics a lot, and this has quite a bit to do with quantum tunneling and quantum cascade lasers...but reading up on it more, im not sure if it is the course for me..

5. Feb 11, 2004 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Chopnik - you have an interest in Quantum Cascade Lasers too?? You "are" my son!!!!!!!

But I can't help you with this problem. Good luck though!

6. Feb 11, 2004 #5
    ok. obviously in the interview you don't tell them this!:wink:
    Ok, this is a great place to start.
    Personally, I think it would be fine for you to be straight with them. Your researching the subject speaks very well for you. View your research as an experiment, and, as my chem teacher used to say, "there is no such thing as a failed experiment, only one which did not give the results you hypothesized."

It sorta begs the question... what would you rather do, and that leaves an "I don't know"... or do you have some other ideas you might be able to follow up with? Still, I think even an I don't know - due to your change in perspective - should be just fine.

The initial interview is usually just a basic screen for basic "seriousness", general intellectual ability, and right-mindedness as far as getting through a university curriculum. Based on what you've said, I think you can show them that.

my two cents.

7. Feb 12, 2004 #6

LURCH

Science Advisor

OK, it's "tomorrow"; how did it go, Jimmy?

8. Feb 12, 2004 #7

jimmy p

Gold Member

how'd it go?? Oh, not too bad i suppose.... I'm not sure. They have offered me a place if i can get a B and a C in maths and physics. But the head professor called me an anomaly cos my GCSE's showed that i did better in creative subjects like English, German and Music than in sciences, so he says he isnt sure about me. But i did impress him with my knowledge!

9. Feb 12, 2004 #8
    What uni?

10. Feb 12, 2004 #9

jimmy p

Gold Member

Exeter University.

11. Feb 12, 2004 #10
    Hi Jimmy,

sounds like it went quite well... I wish you success. Is Exeter your first choice? (Are you applying to other places too?)

12. Feb 12, 2004 #11

jimmy p

Gold Member

The university selection process has changed in UK now, because they found that universities that werent 'first or second' choice were more likely to reject applications, so they dont really do that any more, or they keep the order secret from the universities, to make it fair.

I have applied to Surrey, Kent, York, Bristol and Reading as well. York said no, Surrey wants me to have an interview, Reading have conditionally offered me a place without an interview, Bristol are taking the piss and Kent havent bothered to reply yet!

13. Feb 12, 2004 #12

jimmy p

Gold Member

oh yeah, thank you!!

14. Feb 12, 2004 #13
    I guess some success is better than none.

15. Feb 12, 2004 #14
    Jimmy,

you're quite welcome. I'm afraid I'm a bit rusty on BritSpeak... what is taking the piss? Some places do take their sweet time.

edit: removed superfluous q. :smile:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2004
  16. Feb 12, 2004 #15

jimmy p

Gold Member

Taking the piss = messing someone around. Basically the said i need AAC to get into their uni but if i go up there and do a physics/maths test then if i pass they will consider my application again... whatever bristol...

17. Feb 12, 2004 #16
    Ahhhhh... all is clear now. buggers.

well, good luck on your exams (A levels I suppose unless they changed that system too) and for the interview with Surrey.

18. Feb 13, 2004 #17
    Bastard! You never told me about no damn interview! lol, glad it all went ok no doubt i will speak to you soon about it though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?