Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Art and Mathematics/Physics.

1. May 21, 2008 #1
    Greetings...i am an Independent Artist and my greatest inspiration has come from maths/geometry...i also have an interest in revolutionary scientific ideas such as "free energy" as proposed by Nikola Tesla..."biological transmutation" as proposed by Dr. Kervran and..."morphic resonance" as proposed by Sheldrake and such subjects as: "self replicating machines"..."zero point energy"..."super conductors at room temprature"...
    I do think The Artist has a role to inspire mathematicians/scientists and indeed good artists with a well developed imagination (eg:S.F. writers) are capable of a bit of latteral thinking and finding novel ways of solving problems.
    I am not mathematically/scientifically qualified but in the past have solved geometric problems (that others more qualified than me claimed was impossible) that have led to paintings/images eg: "Penrose's Conundrum"..."Puzzle No.2"..."Mcclure's Matrix"..."Modular Matrix"...which are just a few examples...

Bending with the wind
    The Taoist gathers water...
    In a straw hat

Best regards pete mcclure.

PS: contrary to common held belief i do not think that Fermat's last Theorem has been proved because when we are dealing with infinitely large numbers a lot mathematical laws do not apply (in the heart of my very being i know the theorem to be false) equally with infinitely small particles the known laws of physics do not apply...it is the duty of any mathematicl/scientific enquiry to search for "the exception that proves the rule"...
  2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

But it's not just enough for someone to declare that they do not think a theorem has been proved. If there is a proof of a mathematical theorem that has been given, then the only way in which one can say it is not true is if one finds a flaw in the proof.
  4. May 21, 2008 #3
    Wikipedia quotes
    and most interestingly, Wiles original proof did contain a gap, which has been fixed. The mathematics involved are quite beautiful.
  5. May 21, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Its certainly not the proof Fermat could have used. Finding that would be nice.
  6. May 21, 2008 #5
    Is it not likely Fermat's proof was flawed?
  7. May 21, 2008 #6
    Fermat's last theorem.

...and no doubt if a University/Institution offered thr equivalent of a million pounds 350 yrs ago to disprove Fermats last Thereom mathematicians would have been beavering away to disprove it...and it would eventually be disproved...vested interest has the property of altering reality...somewhere out there some higher intelligence is laughing and may-be Fermat too!
    Have a nice day pete mcclure.
  8. May 21, 2008 #7
    There has been quite some work to investigate the consistency of mathematics. You might be intereseted in Gödel's incompleteness theorems and/or the List of statements undecidable in ZFC for instance. In fact, it would be quite an interesting result if you could prove inconsistency of any standard chunk of maths. :smile:
  9. May 21, 2008 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Possibly, but I guess we will never know for certain.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?