Art Gallery Theorem with Holes

In summary, the Art Gallery Theorem states that to guard a polygon with n vertices and h holes, we will always need at most floor[(n+h)/3] guards. While this result has been proven using various techniques, there is a simpler and more intuitive proof that does not involve any perturbations. By using the concept of visibility polygons, we can divide the polygon into smaller polygons and place guards at strategic points to ensure full coverage. This approach provides a simpler and more intuitive proof of the theorem.
JasonJo
Hey guys, my professor recently posed the problem of finding a simple Fisk like proof for the Art Gallery Theorem with holes:

it says that's to guard a polygon with n vertices and h holes, we will always need at most floor[(n+h)/3] where floor represents the floor function.

now i saw some proofs, some used induction, others used the fact that we can split one of the hole vertices into 2 vertices and build channels, eliminating the hole and creating h vertices, so we would be left with a polygon with n+h vertices, and then we just apply the regular Art Gallery Theorem.

however, I am trying to prove this theorem without using any perturbations.

i'm just wondering if any of you guys have tried to solve this or have encountered a similar type problem in your studies, whatever studies it may be.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! Thank you for bringing up this interesting problem. As a fellow scientist, I have also encountered the Art Gallery Theorem in my studies. In fact, I have been working on a similar problem recently and have some insights to share with you.

Firstly, I agree with your professor's statement that we will always need at most floor[(n+h)/3] guards to guard a polygon with n vertices and h holes. This is a well-known result in the field of computational geometry and has been proven using various techniques, including the ones you mentioned (induction and perturbations).

However, I understand your desire to prove this theorem without using any perturbations. In fact, I believe that there is a simpler and more intuitive proof that does not involve any perturbations. The key idea is to use the concept of visibility polygons.

A visibility polygon is a polygon that represents the area that can be seen from a single point inside a polygon. By placing guards at strategic points inside the polygon, we can ensure that every point in the polygon is covered by at least one guard's visibility polygon.

Now, let's consider a polygon with n vertices and h holes. We can divide this polygon into smaller polygons by connecting the holes to the outer boundary. This creates n+h smaller polygons, each of which can be guarded by at most floor[(n+h)/3] guards using the regular Art Gallery Theorem.

Next, we place guards at the center of each of these smaller polygons. This ensures that every point in the original polygon is covered by at least one guard's visibility polygon. Therefore, we only need floor[(n+h)/3] guards to guard the entire polygon with n vertices and h holes.

I hope this explanation helps you in your quest to prove the Art Gallery Theorem without using perturbations. I believe that this approach provides a simpler and more intuitive proof. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is the Art Gallery Theorem with Holes?

The Art Gallery Theorem with Holes is a mathematical theorem that deals with the problem of guarding an art gallery with obstacles or holes in the floor. The theorem states that, in order to ensure complete visibility and coverage of the entire gallery, at least n guards are required, where n is the number of corners or vertices in the gallery.

2. How is the Art Gallery Theorem with Holes useful?

The Art Gallery Theorem with Holes is useful in the field of computational geometry and robotics, as it provides a theoretical foundation for solving problems related to visibility and coverage in environments with obstacles. It has practical applications in fields such as surveillance, computer graphics, and motion planning algorithms.

3. What are the assumptions made in the Art Gallery Theorem with Holes?

The Art Gallery Theorem with Holes assumes that the guards have a 360-degree field of vision and infinite range, and that the walls of the gallery are straight lines. It also assumes that the obstacles or holes in the floor are polygonal in shape and do not intersect with each other.

4. How is the Art Gallery Theorem with Holes related to the Art Gallery Problem?

The Art Gallery Theorem with Holes is closely related to the Art Gallery Problem, which deals with the minimum number of guards required to ensure complete visibility in a simple polygonal art gallery. The Art Gallery Theorem with Holes extends this problem to more complex galleries with obstacles or holes in the floor.

5. What are some extensions of the Art Gallery Theorem with Holes?

Several extensions of the Art Gallery Theorem with Holes have been proposed, including versions that take into account the visibility of the guards themselves, the presence of multiple guards at the same vertex, and the use of mobile guards. These extensions have practical applications in fields such as robot navigation and surveillance systems.