1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Art Gallery Theorem with Holes

1. Apr 19, 2006 #1
    Hey guys, my professor recently posed the problem of finding a simple Fisk like proof for the Art Gallery Theorem with holes:

it says thats to guard a polygon with n vertices and h holes, we will always need at most floor[(n+h)/3] where floor represents the floor function.

now i saw some proofs, some used induction, others used the fact that we can split one of the hole vertices into 2 vertices and build channels, eliminating the hole and creating h vertices, so we would be left with a polygon with n+h vertices, and then we just apply the regular Art Gallery Theorem.

however, I am trying to prove this theorem without using any perturbations.

i'm just wondering if any of you guys have tried to solve this or have encountered a similar type problem in your studies, whatever studies it may be.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?