Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Art without a frame?

1. May 22, 2007 #1

Gold Member

(There are video clips embedded in the article.)

I might have missed it, but did it even occur to the authors that some people don't like this music? Anyway, someone showed me this article, and I thought it was interesting enough to pass along. I don't have any insightful comments at the moment, but perhaps someone else will. It's something to stop and entertain, at least.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2007 #2

Gold Member

There's an approach to public transit that is long and enclosed. At the end of the approach and just before escalating to the the ticketing area there is a spot where musicians who have been chosen by the transit company play their music.

Sometimes its South American. Sometimes its North American. But, the placement is strategic in that you can hear the music, and enjoy it if you do, as you walk this half a mile of cement and metal. So, by the time you get to the musicians you have had the time to savor or slam their music and either pitch in some money or not. You don't have to decide if you're too busy or not because you are automatically multitasking; listening while dealing with rush hour. Its pretty cool.:cool:
  4. May 29, 2007 #3

Gold Member

What an obscenely long article.
  5. May 29, 2007 #4

Gold Member

Hahahaha... yeah, I actually kind of thought the same. The author seems to really enjoy hearing himself talk or something. I was going to try to quote at least the "conclusions", but I couldn't really find good places to snip. It did lead me to find a violinist named Nathan Milstein, though. I can't really describe him. You just have to hear him. If anyone is interested, Milstein playing Bach's Chaconne (part 1), Milstein playing Bach's Chaconne (part 2), and Milstein playing Vitali's Chaconne.

baywax, that sounds nice. :biggrin:
    Last edited: May 29, 2007
  6. May 29, 2007 #5

Gold Member

Its good wages for the buskers.:redface::blushing: but it ain't Bach.

Actually many of the classical writers simply re-wrote much of the folk music of their respective times.

Its funny that the Washington post would do this sort of research/story. It reminds me a bit of two things:
    1) the Hebrew (apparently of Jewish faith) classical musicians playing for the prisoners of death camps in the 30s and 40s.

2) the relatively recent advances in neuroscience that show classical music to be not only soothing but stimulating intellectual interest in humans from ages 0 to 8. (between 5 - 7 years old is the optimum age for learning music theory and practice in relation to brain/dexterity development. Though every kid is different:rolleyes:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?