Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arthur.C.Clarke-Sri Lanka

1. Dec 27, 2004 #1
    You guys know what happened to A.C Clarke, he used to live in Sri Lanka in a big house right on the beach? east or west coast of Sri Lanka don't really know.
    I remember also he was very fond of scuba diving, OOPS! :bugeye:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2004 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Since he last let the world hear from him was on Jan 1, 2000, that's sufficient proof he was swept away by a tsunami some time later.

Or what?

4. Dec 27, 2004 #3
    Jan 1 2000? Didn't "Time's Eye" come out after that?

5. Dec 27, 2004 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'm pretty sure he consulted on a recent (awful) sci-fi movie. "The Core" perhaps?

6. Dec 27, 2004 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

He really has sunk low if he actually did consulting work on "The Core".

I'm deeply shocked by this, I've always respected Clarke, but if he really did such a crime, he deserves to be TSUNAMIED!! :grumpy:

7. Dec 27, 2004 #6
    Hey ! Arlindo ! everyone needs money.
    If he were to be scubadiving during that wave coming on shore would he be safe there underwater?

8. Dec 27, 2004 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Eeh, since the tsunami essentially propagates along the sea bottom at immense velocity, and suddenly rears its monstrous head when reaching shallow waters, it wouldn't help you a lot to be at the bottom of the ocean.

9. Dec 27, 2004 #8
    I think you are wrong, my guess is that underwater one will hardly notice any big disturbance.

10. Dec 27, 2004 #9
    Not if the water you're in happens to be lifted with an incredible force so strong that it doesn't matter if you can swim or not and you're either crashed into something solid or dragged out to sea unless you can grab ahold of something first...

11. Dec 27, 2004 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am concerned about Clarke. The last time that I saw him he looked quite old and frail. If he is caught in the middle of this, if he survived, it could be a real nightmare for him right now. Of course, knowing Clarke, he probably planned for such an event.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2004
  12. Dec 28, 2004 #11

matthyaouw

Gold Member

I reckon it would help a bit. Its damn hard to drown when wearing an air tank and breathing apperatus.

13. Dec 28, 2004 #12

Evo

14. Dec 28, 2004 #13
    Cool! thanks Evo.

15. Dec 29, 2004 #14
  16. Dec 29, 2004 #15

russ_watters

Well, a quick search of IMDB.com shows nothing, so maybe I heard wrong. :confused:

17. Dec 29, 2004 #16

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Thanks, Evo, for the link.

And, since Clarke doesn't appear to have worked with the awful "The Core", I can sigh in relief that he actually did survive..

To end my rather inappropriate jesting; it is a truly awful tragedy, and Clarke seems (from the link) to be in a personal nightmare where several employees&friends are still unaccounted for.

18. Dec 29, 2004 #17

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My respect for Clark took a sharp downturn when I heard about the pedophilia accusations. But I don't think they were ever substantiated (were they?), so right now, my opinion of him is being held in abeyance. Were the charges shown to be baseless ?

19. Dec 29, 2004 #18
  20. Dec 30, 2004 #19

Not True! Apparently someone was scuba diving while it happened. check it out:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/12/29/tsunami.diver/index.html

21. Dec 30, 2004 #20
    I heard that in Thailand hundreds of scuba divers got crushed against rocks, cliffs and coral. Didnt help them much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?