Need help creating articulated costume wings?

• Thread starter Pheral
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wings
In summary, the goal of the project is to build a pair of articulated costume wings that open and retract on their own, preferably controlled by a remote. The actual wing design and everything else seem to be pretty simple (building the first prototype tomorrow), but the individual components needed to make the wing move are unknown. The biggest challenge will be the superstructure - the struts (the bones) that support the weight and torsional forces.
Pheral
Hello all!

I'm dead-set on building a pair of articulated costume wings that open and retract on their own, preferably controlled by a remote.

The actual wing design and everything else seem to be pretty simple (building the first prototype tomorrow), but I have no idea where to begin with installing a battery-powered mechanism that will open and close the wings.

Ideally the rig will be relatively quiet but able to handle the load without trouble.

Any and all suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Below are a couple links to help you see what I'm trying to do. The first video displays the wing design at 3:10. The second shows a working pair of articulated wings.
(View 3:10)

(Articulated wings at work)

This is probably small potatoes to most (or all) of you, but your help is greatly appreciated :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is it the battery/motor that's the problem, or the servo components to expand and contract it?

Many moons ago I built a 'dragon' superhero outfit with wings that lay flat against my back and unfolded into a 10 foot wingspan. But it was entirely manually operated.

I was particularly pleased with the diagonal hinging in the wing surfaces that facilitated the movement. They were akin to origami - or to the folding wings on a carrier-based airplane.

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
Is it the battery/motor that's the problem, or the servo components to expand and contract it?

Both, really. I think I'm good as far as the wing design and the cosmetic stuff, but as far as powering the motorized movement and having the parts generate the desired movement to force the wing to expand and retract, I really have no clue where to begin. My cousin-in-law is an electrician, so I think he'll be able to help me set things up properly once I know what I need to do.

Your biggest challenge is going to be the superstructure - the struts (the bones) that support the weight and torsional forces.
You've got to start with that - it will drive all other aspects of the working device.

Okay, so I need to figure out how the moving parts on the back plate will attach to the base edge of the wings and move them before I should consider the motor/battery? Makes sense. I'll draw up some plans after I build the wing prototype so that I can see exactly how it needs to move. Thanks!

Perhaps play around with four bar links?

CWatters said:
Perhaps play around with four bar links?

I'm not sure what you mean by that =\

I did end up building the prototype of a wing today. It needs some tweaks, but it's a decent first step. Next step will be figuring out how it will need to move when attached to the back plate. It's pretty much a copy of the wooden wing displayed in the first video at 3:10.
IMG_0713.JPG

Pheral said:
I did end up building the prototype of a wing today.

Looks a bit like a 4 bar link :-)

1. How do articulated costume wings work?

Articulated costume wings are typically attached to a harness worn by the performer. The wings are designed with hinges or joints that allow them to move and be controlled by the performer's body movements.

2. What materials are used to make articulated costume wings?

Articulated costume wings can be made with a variety of materials, but the most commonly used are lightweight and flexible materials such as foam, wire, and fabric. Some wings also incorporate mechanical parts for added movement.

3. How long does it take to create a pair of articulated costume wings?

The time it takes to create articulated costume wings can vary depending on the complexity of the design and the materials used. It can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks to create a pair of wings.

4. Can articulated costume wings be worn for long periods of time?

Yes, articulated costume wings can be worn for extended periods of time if they are designed and constructed properly. The weight of the wings and the harness should be evenly distributed to avoid strain on the performer's body.

5. Are articulated costume wings difficult to maneuver?

The level of difficulty in maneuvering articulated costume wings depends on the design and the performer's level of experience. Some wings may require more practice and coordination to control effectively, while others may be easier to maneuver.