1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Artificial Gravity

1. Jun 30, 2007 #1
    "Artificial Gravity"

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A space station in the form of a large wheel, 333m in diameter, rotates to provide an "artificial gravity" of 9m/s^2 for people located on the outer rim. Find the rotational frequency of the wheel that will produce this effect. Answer in units of rpm [revolutions per minute]

2. Relevant equations

w = 2pi/T , Frequency = 1/T

3. The attempt at a solution

I first equated the normal force with the centripetal force, which is mg = mv^2/r. Cancelling out the m, I got gr = v^2. After I solved for V, I plugged it into the w = 2pi/T equation to find T, then 1/T. To convert the answer to rpm, I multiplied what I got for F by 60 and divided by 2pi. However I kept getting the wrong answer. Can someone please help? Thank you!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

How did you relate v to w when finding T in this step?

Be sure to keep track of the units to make sure things make sense.

What answer did you get?
  4. Jun 30, 2007 #3
    I got 3.487429162 rpm
  5. Jun 30, 2007 #4
    I also know that w = 2 x pi x frequency
  6. Jun 30, 2007 #5

Homework Helper

Yes, but remember that v is linear velocity, and w is angular velocity. They are not interchangeable. Do you know the relation between those two quantities?
  7. Jun 30, 2007 #6
    I know that w = v/r
  8. Jun 30, 2007 #7

Homework Helper

So what do you get if you make use of that? You found what v is, and ultimately what you want to find is w (in rev/min).

You're initial approach is OK, it's just the long way around. But you still need to use v=rw.
  9. Jun 30, 2007 #8
    oh! I got it now! Thank you so much!
  10. Jun 30, 2007 #9

Homework Helper

You're welcome. :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?