1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Job Skills Artificial Intelligence

1. May 29, 2017 #1
    Hello.
    I am looking for guidance.
    I have been working in software industry for about eight years now.
    I see that the trend is moving towards making a machine intelligent.
    I want to be part of this trend and move forward.

My questions is:
    What skills do I need to become part of this era of artificial intelligence?
    I am listing down the skills that I think may be needed to get involved with artificial intelligence. They are as follows:
    • Software Writing
    • Mathematics
    • Hardware Development - VLSI, Circuits
    • Tools like MATLAB
    Let me know your views, advice, suggestions.
    What is more?
    I hope that artificial intelligence on planet Earth would still require software development and hardware development and use of mathematics. Am I missing something?

Thank you.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2017 #2

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's a very diverse subject. On idea would be to pick one subject that you are interested in (like neural networks using MATLAB) and learn the techniques and tools for that. Then you can have some credibility in that subject and branch out from there as you desire.

4. May 29, 2017 #3
    Machine learning is probably the most direct way to attack the problem of building an artificial general intelligence. A good place to start is the machine learning course by Andrew Ng from Coursera. It will give you a broad picture of the field. You might also want to explore machine vision and natural language processing (NLP), although many researchers would classify them as mere applications of machine learning.

5. May 29, 2017 #4

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Good advice. But a person who classifies machine vision and NLP as "mere examples of machine learning" is unwisely minimizing a vast amount of specialized research and techniques on each subject.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted