Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Artificial Island ?

1. Nov 11, 2007 #1

JPC

hey was wondering :

Is it possible today to create a sort of artificial island without soil :
    Like you have Big metalic Hexagonal blocks with air inside them (that float), that you attach together ? and then that you can have a big surface at sea where u can build on

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2007 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I can't say that you can do it without soil. However, artificial islands are in use for some very crucial things. Look at Japan's Kansai Airport.

4. Nov 11, 2007 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

5. Nov 12, 2007 #4

Danger

Gold Member

It's certainly possible to build something large that floats; I just don't know if it can be considered an island unless it's built up from the ocean floor and contains 'natural' materials such as rocks and sand.

6. Nov 13, 2007 #5

JPC

But why isnt anything of the sort being made ?

I mean you could build everything on a floating metalic structure, and add some soil to make it look better for other people ?

i would imagine them well as floating millitary bases that could be draged close to the country you want to attack , ect
    with all the munitions, tools, ect onboard

7. Nov 13, 2007 #6

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I would imagine two reasons; cost and need.

We already pretty much have that with aircraft carriers. Plus there is always the fact of having to stay in international waters or getting permission from other countries to enter their territories.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?