1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Artin-Wedderburn theorem contradiction? Mind = Blown

1. Nov 23, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

My question basically wants me to write the direct product of rings [itex] R = \mathbb{Z}_3 \oplus \mathbb{Z}_5 \oplus \mathbb{Z}_5 [/itex] as a direct product of matrix rings over division rings.

2. Relevant equations

Relevant theorems

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/8471/g7pn.png [Broken]

3. The attempt at a solution

So I found two ways of doing this which seemed contradictory to the above Theorem.

First, [itex] R [/itex] is the direct sum of the simple ideals [itex] (\mathbb{Z}_3, 0 , 0) = S_1 [/itex], [itex] (0, \mathbb{Z}_5, 0) = S_2 [/itex] and [itex] (0, 0, \mathbb{Z}_5) = S_3 [/itex]. These are simple since the [itex] \mathbb{Z}_3, \mathbb{Z}_5 [/itex] are fields (and have no proper non-zero ideals).

But then treat [itex] R [/itex] as a left [itex] R [/itex] module. Then these three simple ideals above become three simple submodules of [itex] R [/itex] and

[itex] R = S_1 + S_2 + S_3 [/itex]

As left [itex] R [/itex] modules, [itex] S_2 \cong S_3 [/itex] whereas [itex] S_1 [/itex] is not isomorphic to either of the other two (different cardinalities).

Then [itex] R \cong S_1 \oplus S_2 \oplus S_3 \cong S_1 \oplus {S_2}^2 [/itex]

[itex] End_R(M) [/itex] is the set of R-module homomorphisms from [itex] M [/itex] to [itex] M [/itex]. Another theorem previously shows as rings [itex] R [/itex] is isomorphic to [itex] End_R(R) [/itex]. But since this is the case, Theorem 4.24 tells me;

[itex] R \cong End_R(R) \cong End_R(S_1 \oplus {S_2}^2) \cong M_1(D_1) \oplus M_2(D_2) [/itex]

Where [itex] D_1 = End_R(S_1), D_2 = End_R(S_2) [/itex] are division rings.

So thats one direct product of matrix rings over division rings. But also I could've simply said.

[itex] \mathbb{Z_3} \cong M_1(\mathbb{Z}_3), \mathbb{Z_5} \cong M_1(\mathbb{Z}_5) [/itex] as rings.

[itex] R \cong M_1(\mathbb{Z}_3) \oplus M_1(\mathbb{Z}_5) \oplus M_1(\mathbb{Z}_5) [/itex]

Also a direct product of matrix rings over fields (thus division rings)

But this surely contradicts what is said at the very bottom of my image above. Since one is a direct product over 2 matrix rings, another is a direct product over 3? So can anyone tell me where I'm wrong?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?