Arts options for Physics majors

In summary, the speakers discuss various suggestions for arts courses that might be useful or interesting for the person planning their schedule. Some recommendations include religion and science, anthropology, sociology, web/graphic design, classics, history of science and technology, psychology, neuroscience, cognitive science, child development, philosophy, and foreign languages. The speakers also mention the benefits of taking courses outside of one's field of study, such as gaining different perspectives and skills.
NeoDevin
I'm trying to plan out my schedule for next year, and need to choose 3 arts courses. I found 2 that are interesting (History of science, and History of Technology), but can't seem to find anymore that interest me. Anyone have any suggestions for what might be useful/interesting?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not a fan of arts options but one I would like to take someday is called Religion and Science. I took an anthropology course once and enjoyed it, and took a sociology course which I hated.

I took 2 web/graphic design art classes they were the easiest credits I ever got in my life. If you know basic webdesign/html/css and they offer it, I suggest it.

it also helped when I needed to create a website to dispaly a resume/skills:
www.personal.psu.edu/css204[/URL]
:D

Last edited by a moderator:
My freshman year I took a couple of classes in Classics. It actually gave me an interest in ancient Greek literature that's lasted until the present. You might find something like this to be pretty fun.

I took a course called "history of science and technology" it was a great class and put all the equations into context. They were not all nice equations presented linearly like in your physics books, far from it! Some equations were pure experimental until others came to prove them later on in life.

psychology? neuroscience or cognitive science or vision or child dev.

Archeology is interesting, and probably the most scientific of the "social sciences".

Philosophy seems like a natural choice if you're inclined to theoretical physics. A language class in any foreign language is refreshing and causes you to think along separate lines than the usual methods associated with physics and math classes.

Another vote for philosophy, took logic, ancient phil(greek), modern(hobbes, descartes, etc) and phil of religion. 4 of the most interesting classes.

When I was an undergrad, I tended to choose Liberal Arts electives that have something to do with my field. So those electives were classes in Philosophy of Science, History of Science, and even a rather unique, interdisplinary course that studied how science and technology are depicted in classic literature such as "War of the World", "Slaughterhouse 5", "All Quiet on the Western Front", "Brave New World", etc. The latter was because we were required to have at least 3 credits in literature since the physics dept. was part of the College of Letters and Science.

While many people think that these classes are a waste of time, I actually found them fascinating. I didn't want to major in them, but I did find them interesting enough to do quite well in all of them. They become useful later on in my professional career because I can see the perspective of science (and physics in particular) from people who do not major or work in it, especially on how they would misinterpret many aspects of science if all they got were something out of philosophical, historical, literature work. You have to know what and how people understand things before you can start explaining to them what you know.

Since such classes will probably be your first observation of how other people who aren't science majors think and understand about science, these classes become a useful practice ground for what you had to deal with later.

Zz.

i'm taking a course on ancient egypt right now because a) it's fairly cool and b) it's really, really easy. :biggrin:

I did Scandinavian languages and took an external (Institute of Linguists) exam in it. My mother is Danish and I was brought up speaking English and Danish, so the Danish exam was easier than easy. I also did a course in sex education and got to watch a lot of interesting movies. I did rock climbing, too, which I still enjoy.

Hmmm, just found out I can fit chinese language course into my schedule, that could be fun

What are the benefits of pursuing arts options as a Physics major?

There are several benefits to pursuing arts options as a Physics major. Firstly, it allows for a well-rounded education and can provide a creative outlet for students who are heavily focused on science and math. Additionally, studying the arts can improve critical thinking and communication skills, which are essential for any career path. Lastly, combining arts and physics can lead to unique and innovative research opportunities.

What types of arts options are available for Physics majors?

There are various arts options available for Physics majors, ranging from classes and minors to dual degree programs. Some common options include taking courses in music, visual arts, or writing, pursuing a minor in a related field such as astronomy or engineering, or completing a dual degree program in physics and another discipline such as music or theater.

Will pursuing arts options as a Physics major affect job prospects?

No, pursuing arts options as a Physics major will not negatively affect job prospects. In fact, having a diverse skill set and the ability to think creatively can make you stand out to potential employers. Many industries value individuals with a strong background in both science and the arts, such as science communication, science policy, and science education.

How can I balance arts options with the demanding coursework of a Physics major?

Balancing arts options with the demanding coursework of a Physics major may seem daunting, but it is possible with good time management and prioritization skills. It may be helpful to plan out your course schedule in advance, leverage summer or winter breaks to take arts classes, and communicate with your academic advisor for support. Additionally, remember that pursuing arts options can also serve as a form of stress relief and can enhance your overall academic experience.

Are there any notable examples of successful individuals who combined physics and the arts?

Yes, there are many notable examples of successful individuals who combined physics and the arts. Some examples include Brian May, the lead guitarist of the band Queen who holds a PhD in astrophysics, and Lisa Randall, a theoretical physicist and author of the book "Knocking on Heaven's Door" which combines physics and music. These individuals demonstrate how combining two seemingly different disciplines can lead to unique and impactful contributions to society.