1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arts options for Physics majors

1. Apr 13, 2007 #1
    I'm trying to plan out my schedule for next year, and need to choose 3 arts courses. I found 2 that are interesting (History of science, and History of Technology), but can't seem to find anymore that interest me. Anyone have any suggestions for what might be useful/interesting?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2007 #2
    I'm not a fan of arts options but one I would like to take someday is called Religion and Science. I took an anthropology course once and enjoyed it, and took a sociology course which I hated.
  4. Apr 13, 2007 #3
    I took 2 web/graphic design art classes they were the easiest credits I ever got in my life. If you know basic webdesign/html/css and they offer it, I suggest it.

it also helped when I needed to create a website to dispaly a resume/skills:
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  5. Apr 13, 2007 #4
    My freshman year I took a couple of classes in Classics. It actually gave me an interest in ancient Greek literature that's lasted until the present. You might find something like this to be pretty fun.
  6. Apr 13, 2007 #5
    I took a course called "history of science and technology" it was a great class and put all the equations into context. They were not all nice equations presented linearly like in your physics books, far from it! Some equations were pure experimental until others came to prove them later on in life.
  7. Apr 13, 2007 #6
    psychology? neuroscience or cognitive science or vision or child dev.
  8. Apr 13, 2007 #7
    Archeology is interesting, and probably the most scientific of the "social sciences".
  9. Apr 14, 2007 #8
    Philosophy seems like a natural choice if you're inclined to theoretical physics. A language class in any foreign language is refreshing and causes you to think along separate lines than the usual methods associated with physics and math classes.
  10. Apr 14, 2007 #9
    Another vote for philosophy, took logic, ancient phil(greek), modern(hobbes, descartes, etc) and phil of religion. 4 of the most interesting classes.
  11. Apr 14, 2007 #10

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

When I was an undergrad, I tended to choose Liberal Arts electives that have something to do with my field. So those electives were classes in Philosophy of Science, History of Science, and even a rather unique, interdisplinary course that studied how science and technology are depicted in classic literature such as "War of the World", "Slaughterhouse 5", "All Quiet on the Western Front", "Brave New World", etc. The latter was because we were required to have at least 3 credits in literature since the physics dept. was part of the College of Letters and Science.

While many people think that these classes are a waste of time, I actually found them fascinating. I didn't want to major in them, but I did find them interesting enough to do quite well in all of them. They become useful later on in my professional career because I can see the perspective of science (and physics in particular) from people who do not major or work in it, especially on how they would misinterpret many aspects of science if all they got were something out of philosophical, historical, literature work. You have to know what and how people understand things before you can start explaining to them what you know.

Since such classes will probably be your first observation of how other people who aren't science majors think and understand about science, these classes become a useful practice ground for what you had to deal with later.

12. Apr 14, 2007 #11
    i'm taking a course on ancient egypt right now because a) it's fairly cool and b) it's really, really easy. :biggrin:
  13. Apr 15, 2007 #12
    I did Scandinavian languages and took an external (Institute of Linguists) exam in it. My mother is Danish and I was brought up speaking English and Danish, so the Danish exam was easier than easy. I also did a course in sex education and got to watch a lot of interesting movies. I did rock climbing, too, which I still enjoy.
  14. Apr 15, 2007 #13
    Hmmm, just found out I can fit chinese language course into my schedule, that could be fun
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?