ArXiv and academic affiliation

In summary, the conversation discusses the requirements for submitting a research paper to Arxiv, specifically the need for an academic affiliation. The individual does not have an official affiliation but has an endorser for the paper. There is confusion about whether an affiliation is necessary and how to handle the "Organization" field on the registration form. It is suggested to put "None" or "No current academic affiliation" and that this should not cause any issues with the submission. There are also questions about how long it takes for an endorsed paper to be accepted and if using a private address instead of an academic one could cause delays. The conversation ends with a note from Arxiv about submissions being put on hold and the need for patience.
Agerhell
I do have a research article that is descent and a contact that is willing to endorse me into the relevant archive at Arxiv.

What I do not have is an official academic affiliation with a research organization. When trying to set up an account on Arxiv I first get the warning that I am using an email-address that does not belong to any institution. There is a field called "Organization" that I can not leave blank, they tell me when I try to register.

Can i write something like, "no current academic affiliation" in that field or will the people at ArXiv only delete my account if they see that I have done so?

I was wandering if I have to contact my old university and beg for an email address from the physics institution, and ask them if I can claim to be part of their organization?

Is it obligatory to have affiliation with a research organization to be able to get papers into Arxiv, or do I only have to state organization and that organizations official report number for my paper if I belong to an institution?

I do not want to write "no current affiliation", get my account deleted, beg the university for some kind of affiliation proof and then get back to Arxiv again, because I guess that would make them hesitant...

I would be happy if someone could fill me in on what is really required...

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't actually know the answer to your question, but I've never read anything about an institutional affiliation being required, and I doubt it is. They will require an endorsement of your paper if you don't have an academic e-mail address, but it sounds like you have that covered. If I were you I would just put "None" under Organization when you create your account.

I second this. I do not believe your acct will be deleted if you have an endorser. Just try none.

I don't think it has to be an academic organization. Do you work for a company? I've seen postings on arXiv by people working in industry. Even if you are self-employed, that should be fine. If you are unemployed, your work will probably be viewed with a high amount of skepticism.

I've come across papers on arxiv before without an academic affiliation, so I doubt your account would be outright deleted, but I can't say for certain.

I just wrote "no current academic affiliation" and it was no problem setting up an account. With the help of an endorserer I sent my paper in on Jan 31. Today it is Feb 24 and the paper is still "on hold".

Any qualified guess on how long it usually takes for an endorsed paper to get accepted or get rejected?

I do work for a living but the company I work for has nothing to do with my paper. I sent the paper into the "general physics" section because I found an endorserer for that section. Another section could also be appropriate but the contact I have that have several paper there had to few papers from recent years so he could not endorse me.

I do not know if using my private address, instead of a more research/academicially associated address causes delay.

Agerhell said:
I do not know if using my private address, instead of a more research/academicially associated address causes delay.

From the arXiv:

arXiv said:
Submissions may be put on hold for a variety of reasons, ranging from questions about proper classification, pending moderator approval, presentation issues, copyrighted PDF, etc., to editorial concerns. Most of these do not require any further input from the submitter and will be dealt with in due course. arXiv urges submitters to be patient. Due to the large volume of submissions, it may take several days before a resolution is reached.

Note that oversize submissions are automatically put on hold, and this is one particular circumstance in which submitters should follow up with arXiv administrators.

Being put on hold can mean many things. However, the fact that you submitted to general physics and you think another category might be more appropriate sounds like it might be the culprit.

What is ArXiv and how is it related to academic affiliation?

ArXiv is an online repository of preprints (drafts of scholarly articles) in various fields of science, mathematics, and computer science. It is maintained by Cornell University and is closely associated with academic institutions and researchers.

What are the benefits of having an academic affiliation for submitting to ArXiv?

Having an academic affiliation allows researchers to easily submit their preprints to ArXiv and have them endorsed by their institution. This adds credibility to the research and can increase its visibility and impact.

Can anyone submit to ArXiv or do you need an academic affiliation?

While anyone can access and read articles on ArXiv, only individuals with an academic affiliation can submit papers. However, some exceptions may be made for independent researchers and those without academic affiliations who have previously published in ArXiv.

What should I do if I change my academic affiliation?

If you change your academic affiliation, you should update your ArXiv account with your new institution. This will ensure that any future submissions are properly endorsed and linked to your new institution.

Can I have multiple academic affiliations for my ArXiv account?

Yes, you can have multiple academic affiliations for your ArXiv account. This is especially useful for researchers who may have collaborations with multiple institutions or have changed institutions throughout their career.