Does the proximity of a string to a spinning object affect its speed?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the question of whether the string that is closer to your hand moves faster than the string that is tied to the stone when the stone is spun around. There are different opinions on this, but it is generally agreed that the string closer to the hand does move faster due to the larger diameter it has to cover in the same amount of time. The conversation also briefly touches on the topic of moving faster than the speed of light and the philosophical implications of this. However, nonsensical comments are not allowed in the forum and if there are genuine questions or discussions on this topic, they should be posted in the appropriate forums.
liongoth
I wonder, if you tie a string to a stone and spin it around, does the string that is closer to your hand move faster than the string that is tied to the stone?

*EDIT* This question leads to a much greater topic of discussion, and the reason for leading off with this question is because the rest of the question is contingent upon this concept...

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes it does, since it has to travel a circle of larger diameter in the same amount of time.

liongoth said:
I wonder, if you tie a string to a stone and spin it around, does the string that is closer to your hand move faster than the string that is tied to the stone?
I'd say just the opposite.

liongoth said:

*EDIT* This question leads to a much greater topic of discussion, and the reason for leading off with this question is because the rest of the question is contingent upon this concept...

Hi and welcome to PF liongoth,

What kind of discussion are you fishing for here? The philosophical implications of basic rotational mechanics? I do not see your motive/s...

I think the string that is away moves faster. The radius is more but the angular velocity remains the same.

gendou2 said:
Yes it does, since it has to travel a circle of larger diameter in the same amount of time.

Aha, then if this is true, then what if the stone is moving at the speed of light?

See Doc Al's post.

Kurdt said:
See Doc Al's post.
What's the name of it, or a link for it?

liongoth said:
What's the name of it, or a link for it?

No, no, he means the earlier post made by Doc Al.

There is a basic mathematical relation to the angular speed of a given point on the string, and the length of the arc traced by that point. A point on the string closer to your hand would not have a higher Angular speed than the point at the rock. Not the other way around.

Check this page out for a basic tutorial on rotational mechanics: http://www.sparknotes.com/testprep/books/sat2/physics/chapter10.rhtml"
That should clear it up for you.

So, was there a philosophical question that you had?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it was a matter of what really occurs when you observe the string, you see the string move so fast it goes backwards, and the thought had occurred to me that maybe we can move so fast that time will flow backwards, that is, if we could move faster than the speed of light...

liongoth said:
Well, it was a matter of what really occurs when you observe the string, you see the string move so fast it goes backwards, and the thought had occurred to me that maybe we can move so fast that time will flow backwards, that is, if we could move faster than the speed of light...

Heh, no.

liongoth said:

Nonsensical comments are not permitted at PF, even in the Philosophy forum. If you have a genuine question on the physics, then please post it in the relativity forum, otherwise, refrain from making the speculative posts in future.

1. What does "as a matter of discussion" mean?

As a matter of discussion refers to a topic or subject that is being talked about or debated. It indicates that the following statement or question is meant for discussion rather than a statement of fact.

2. How is "as a matter of discussion" different from "as a matter of fact"?

The phrase "as a matter of fact" implies that the following statement is true and not up for debate, while "as a matter of discussion" indicates that the statement is open to discussion and interpretation.

3. Can "as a matter of discussion" be used in a scientific context?

Yes, "as a matter of discussion" can be used in a scientific context when discussing theories, hypotheses, or data. It allows for different perspectives and interpretations to be considered and discussed.

4. Is "as a matter of discussion" a formal or informal phrase?

It can be used in both formal and informal contexts. In a formal setting, it may be used to introduce a topic of discussion, while in an informal setting it may be used more casually during conversation.

5. How can "as a matter of discussion" be used in a sentence?

Examples of how "as a matter of discussion" can be used in a sentence include: "As a matter of discussion, let's consider the potential implications of this new research." "The topic of climate change is often a matter of discussion among scientists." "As a matter of discussion, what are your thoughts on the latest findings in this field?"