Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

As a physicist

1. Aug 27, 2013 #1

Akaisora

Gold Member

As a physicist....

Would you like to fund your own research?

Lets say that you are a brilliant physicist—applies to any scientists in general—and working on a research while running a business, and you have the ability to fund and build laboratories.

I want to hear what people think of that. I always thought that physicists are too busy to run a business—it could be an invention related to physics/research—and they are not concerned with wealth.

Putting physics and science aside, are you going to be satisfied being middle-class or relying on work?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2013 #2
    I think i difficult to accept it for me.Because my dream is to know more about phycisc instead of becoming wealthy.Em,I don’t know if what i am saying is out of your topic.

4. Aug 28, 2013 #3

Akaisora

Gold Member

Well, yeah physics is a priority for physicists.

You know as of recently, some research in physics is lacking in funding, and being wealthy enough to fund one never hurts.

5. Aug 28, 2013 #4
    Now i have understood what you mean,and i think you make sence.i have ever thought about this problem.But i am not sure if i could adapt other job,so maybe i will find some relative jobs to support my life and research.But i am not sure if i could earn enough money to support some research.

6. Aug 28, 2013 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Look up US Congressman Bill Foster. Although, I don't think he funded any of his research work with his wealth.

Zz.

7. Aug 28, 2013 #6

Akaisora

Gold Member

Hey, Yuri Milner bought a 100 million $ house/property. I personally would dumb that on a huge personal lab or collaborate with a research university.

I guess it depends on the person's reason for studying physics in the first place, or lets say his Raison d'être.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook