1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AS/A2 Grades question - please help

1. Aug 14, 2015 #1
    Hi there,
    I have just received my results for AS level this year - I'm taking maths, further maths, chemistry and physics.
    However, like many people I did the full maths a-level this year (AS & A2) and I'm taking the further maths a-level next year (f.m. AS & A2).
    I just missed out on an A* in my maths this year by a couple of percent (so I got As in maths AS, maths A2, chemistry AS & physics AS).
    I'd love to go to Birmingham Uni in 2016 and do physics; however they ask for an A* and A in maths & physics (either way round).
    I was just wondering if the fact that I didn't get an A* in maths this year would influence whether they gave me an offer or not?
    And has anyone has experienced this before with not getting an A* in year 12/lower sixth and applying for an A* course?

I will of course retake my C3 exam next year (which is the one that let me down) and should get an A* (I just had a bad day with too many stupid mistakes), but I'm just a bit concious that they'll see my A this year and that might affect their decision of an offer.
    (I hope to get an A* in physics next year as well which would also meet the requirements, but I'd like to retake maths as a "safety net" for the extra A* anyway)
    Please give your thoughts.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2015 #2
    Birmingham isn't top tier, it's just entry requirement inflation. They'll almost certainly have at least half their courses in clearing, with much more...flexible grade reqs.

Of course you haven't indicated WHICH course you're applying to. Since you're doing the full A-level Further Maths, you should be fine for anything except single honours maths, which they might be a bit arsey about. Like, you would do fine on single honours maths with A grade A-level Maths, especially if you're doing full FM, but they could hold it against you.

I can't imagine it'd really make a difference for anything else if you also get an A in FM, since you'd have basically covered at least 50% of first year maths for physics/engineering etc at that point anyway.

4. Aug 14, 2015 #3
    Sorry I forgot - I'd probably apply for MSci in physics!
    Thanks very much, that's reassured me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook