Help Needed: Working Out Resistor Size for Potential Divider

In summary, the person is working on their AS level coursework and needs help with determining the size of a resistor for a potential divider. They will be using an LDR and a NOT gate to create a circuit where a bulb will switch on when the light level falls too low. The equation for the voltage output of a potential divider is V_out = (R_2 / (R_1 + R_2)) * V_in. The person has the values from the LDR and thanks the other person for their help. They also suggest using a variable resistor for more flexibility.
Steph191290
i am currently doing my as level coursework and for part of it i need to work out what size resistor to use in a potential divider but i have no idea how anyone that could help i would be really grateful,,

thanx
steph xx

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends what one wants to do with the potential divider. That is, what is the input voltage and the output voltage that you want?

umm.. well we have to put 9 volts in but I am not sure what voltage out,, we are making a sensor,, we are designing the ciruit so when the light level fall too low a bulb will switch on

Well one part of the potential divider will be an LDR. You'll need to know some values from the LDR and how the NOT gate operates before you can work out what value of resistor you wish to place in the potential divider. The equation for the voltage output of a potential divider is given in your AS textbooks as:

[tex] V_{out} =\frac{R_2}{R_1+R_2} V_{in} [/tex]

thank you i have the values from the ldr,, that is the equation i needed i just couldn't remember it thanks for your help.. xxx

P.S. I would place a Variable Resistor (VR) in place of a fixed resistance, so it can be altered to suit the requirments. You'll still need to work out your VR range though, but you'll gain the advantage of making adjustments to the amount of light needed.

1. What is a potential divider?

A potential divider is a circuit that divides the voltage or potential between two resistors in a series. It is commonly used to produce a desired output voltage from a given input voltage.

2. Why is resistor size important in a potential divider?

The resistor size determines the amount of voltage that is dropped across each resistor in the circuit, and therefore affects the output voltage of the potential divider. Choosing the correct resistor sizes is essential in achieving the desired output voltage.

3. How do I calculate the resistor sizes for a potential divider?

You can use the formula Vout = Vin * (R2 / (R1 + R2)) to calculate the output voltage of a potential divider. Rearranging the formula, we can solve for R1 and R2 to determine the required resistor sizes. It is also important to consider the power rating and tolerance of the resistors when choosing sizes.

4. What are some common applications of potential dividers?

Potential dividers are commonly used in electronic circuits to control the output voltage, such as in voltage regulators, sensors, and audio devices. They are also used in battery-powered devices to step down the voltage to a lower level for safe operation.

5. Are there any limitations to using a potential divider?

Yes, potential dividers have limitations, such as being affected by changes in temperature and load. Additionally, the output voltage may vary if the input voltage fluctuates, which can be problematic in certain applications. It is important to carefully consider these limitations when designing a potential divider circuit.