How Many Were Going to St. Ives? A Riddle Explored

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
In summary, the riddle asks how many people (including kits, cats, sacks, and wives) were going to St. Ives. The answer is either one, if we only consider the narrator, or zero, if we consider the lack of information about the movement of the other characters. The location of St. Ives is also debated among the participants.
gravenewworld
I'm sure a lot of you may have heard this riddle before so if you have don't post the answer right away for those who haven't

As I was going to St. Ives I met a man with 7 wives
Every wife had 7 sacks
Every sack had 7 cats
Every cat had 7 kits
Kits, cats, sacks, and wives how many were going to St. Ives?

Physics news on Phys.org
gravenewworld said:
I'm sure a lot of you may have heard this riddle before so if you have don't post the answer right away for those who haven't

Every wife had 7 sacks
Every sack had 7 cats
Every cat had 7 kits
Hightlight for my answer:Surely the answer is none or one because the kits, cats, sacks and wives have not been said to be moving at all, thus the answer is none are going to St. Ives. However, if the answer is one then it is only because you ('As I was...') are traveling there. Therefore will have to say the answer is none.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Is that St. Ives in Cornwall or St. Ives in Cambridgshire? (this riddle is as old as the hills to me as my dad would always ask it when we went for our holidays in St. Ives in Cornwall)

gravenewworld said:

Every wife had 7 sacks
Every sack had 7 cats
Every cat had 7 kits

1, just you...right?

you are correct

Did anyone else thinkg "It's one", then do the math anyways?

7^4 = 49^2 = 50^2 - 50 - 49 = 2500 - 99 = 2401 :rolleyes:

gravenewworld said:
you are correct

Were you saying correct to "1" ?
It would be ZERO - since your question was:

"Kits, cats, sacks, and wives how many were going to St. Ives?"

Also 2401 is just the kits.
include 7^1 and 7^2 and 7^3 for a total of 2800
7^0 would be the man but he wasn't part of the question either.
RB

Last edited:
2,801 are headed to St. Ives, Cambridgeshire, while I am headed to St. Ives, Cornwall.

Surfing in Great Britain. Who'd a thunk it.

The answer is 1. The only person going is the narrator. The last sentence is to throw you off, the only person going according to the first line is the narrator. Don't read too much into the problem.

gravenewworld said:
The answer is 1. The only person going is the narrator. The last sentence is to throw you off, the only person going according to the first line is the narrator. Don't read too much into the problem.
So I was infact correct?

The Bob (2004 ©)

sixtysix if you include the bus driver.

1. What is the meaning behind the poem "As I was going to St. Ives"?

The meaning of the poem is subject to interpretation, but it is often seen as a riddle or a nonsensical tale. Some believe it could be a commentary on the futility of counting or the deceptive nature of appearances.

2. Who wrote the poem "As I was going to St. Ives"?

The authorship of the poem is unknown, but it is believed to be a traditional English nursery rhyme that has been passed down through oral tradition.

3. What is the historical context of the poem "As I was going to St. Ives"?

The poem is believed to have originated in the 18th century and was popularized in England during the Victorian era. It may have been used as a game or a way to teach children about counting.

4. What is the significance of the town of St. Ives in the poem?

The town of St. Ives is often seen as a symbol of wealth and prosperity, as the narrator encounters a man with seven wives, each with seven sacks of cats, and a cat with seven kits. This abundance may be a commentary on the excesses and inequalities of society.

5. Is there a deeper meaning to the repeated numbers in the poem?

The repetition of the number seven in the poem may symbolize perfection or completeness, as it is a significant number in many cultures and religions. It could also be seen as a way to emphasize the absurdity and impossibility of the situation described in the poem.