Investigating Wood Expansion/Contraction with Temperature

• Thread starter frederick_the
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coursework
In summary, Laura is researching ways to heat wood and is considering using a strain gauge, incubator, and a water bath.
frederick_the
hi, for my as level physics coursework i need to write a plan about investigating the expansion and contraction of wood in relation to temperature.
I think i'll use a constantan alloy strain gauge to measure the strain of the wood since i do not intend to measure a temperature range more extreme than -20 to +70 degrees centigrade, so the varying temperature should not affect the strain gauge too much. (right??) But I've been trying to research what would be the best way to heat the wood. Obviously i don't want to heat the connecting wires too much. Also I'm not sure whether i should be using a wheatstone bridge or not. I've read about it, and to be honest i don't understand.
any help much appreciated!

laura xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF

Just guessing, but I would think the strain gauge would be deformed more than the wood.

I agree. That seems to be true after reading through the information.

i am stuck with the same problem.
some of my friends suggested using hotplates. but don't know if the strain gauge will withstand the heat or might the wood will burn.
i was also thinking of lowering the temperature than increasing it.
anyone else got any ideas!

Could you put it in a box with a window then measure the length optically?

I wonder if change of humidity would have more effect than the change of temperature?

Humidity would cause changes across the grain, whereas I assume that temperature might cause a change along the grain.

However, that's sheer speculation on my part.

dlgoff said:
Could you put it in a box with a window then measure the length optically?

we need to use a strain gauge.
got any ideas on how to heat the wood

i have a fine plan! how about u use an incubator from biology to heat ur wood? use a wheatstonebridge circuit too due to small changes in resistance!

sounds good. But will it keep the humidity constant as we are only meant to change the temperature if i am not mistaken

ah but use silica gel, the stuff u get in ur new shoes, to control humidity;)

I'd be thinking of measuring the strain optically, using a traveling microscope with a vernier scale. Your school/college will probably have some of these. Sorry, just saw you _have_ to use a strain gauge. Other than that I would say use as small a mass of wood as you can get away with without being silly. This way you can heat it up easier. With the humidity idea, how about go the other way? Immerse them all in water and use a water bath to heat it up, then do the measurement whilst still in the water. This way they all have the same humidity (if it's the same type of wood and soaked for same length of time). You would also need to carefully get a temperature sensor into the wood somehow. Just some thoughts.

how do you measure the change in resistance?
i was thinking of using an ohm meter parallel to the gauge and also do i need to use a small voltage across the circuit?
i am confused! Normally don't you just take the material and measure the resistance directly using only an ohm meter??
please reply soon! need to finish it up

hiya,., i need help on the best way to heat the wood..
ive found this website
tml.jp/e/product/strain_gauge/list/pflw_plw_list.html
its a strain gage specially for wood,. there others on there aswell,,.
but can anyone think of a good way to heat the wood??

xx
ta

1. What is the purpose of investigating wood expansion/contraction with temperature?

The purpose of investigating wood expansion/contraction with temperature is to understand how changes in temperature can affect the dimensions and properties of wood. This knowledge can be useful in various industries that use wood, such as construction and furniture making, to ensure that the wood is properly treated and used in different temperature conditions.

2. How does temperature affect wood expansion/contraction?

Temperature affects wood expansion/contraction through the process of thermal expansion, where the molecules in the wood absorb heat and expand, causing the wood to increase in size. Conversely, when the temperature decreases, the molecules lose heat and contract, causing the wood to decrease in size.

3. What factors can affect the rate of wood expansion/contraction with temperature?

Several factors can affect the rate of wood expansion/contraction with temperature, including the type of wood, the moisture content of the wood, and the direction of the wood grain. Different types of wood have different rates of thermal expansion, and wood with higher moisture content will expand/contract more than dry wood. The direction of the wood grain also plays a role, as wood tends to expand/contract more along the direction of the grain than across it.

4. How is wood expansion/contraction with temperature measured?

Wood expansion/contraction with temperature can be measured using a variety of methods, including thermal expansion gauges, strain gauges, and dilatometers. These instruments measure the change in size of the wood as the temperature changes, providing quantitative data on the rate of expansion/contraction.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding wood expansion/contraction with temperature?

Understanding wood expansion/contraction with temperature has several practical applications, including in construction where it is important to account for the changes in wood dimensions due to temperature when building structures. It can also be useful in the design and maintenance of furniture and musical instruments, as well as in the preservation of historical wood artifacts.