1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AS Level Physics: Young's Modulus

1. Nov 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I was not in for the Young's Modulus of copper wire experiment, so a friend gave me their data. It seems very wrong and the graph will in no way give proportionality.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Does anyone have data or results from old school days or anything at all that will help me? I just need to draw a graph and come up with some conclusive statements...It's due in tomorrow. I've been ill so I couldn't do it for those who want to accuse me of leaving it too late. I would really just appreciate load and extension values so I can do something quick...

Something like this, but for say 100g to 1300g, not that big.

Mass (kg) Extension (mm)
    5 0•2
    10 0•5
    15 0•8
    20 1•0
    22•5 1•5
    25 1•3
    27•5 1•4

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2008 #2
    This data from your friend doesn't seem TOO bad... in general, as more mass is added the extension lengthens. Did you plot this data (maybe even with error bars)? For Young's modulus you'd be looking for a linear relationship (Young's modulus will relate to the slope in some manner... it depends on how you plot your data). I think there's only one value that seems terribly off, and perhaps you could exclude that point.
  4. Nov 6, 2008 #3
    This isn't my friends...this is something i got off the internet, but unfortunately the only one i could find, and the masses used are too big. My friend's one had 0 0 0 0 for the first 5 loads' extensions!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?