1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AS Physics Moments Question

1. Aug 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Was doing some past papers in preparation for mock Cambridge exams when I ran into this question. Image should be on here I hope...

2. Relevant equations
    Moment=Force x Perpendicular distance from pivot point?

3. The attempt at a solution
    Dunno how to start this one, anyone that can point me in the right direction will be much appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2011 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Yes, this is all you need

Well firstly start by taking clockwise moments as positive (or negative, it doesn't really matter)

So which forces would cause a clockwise moments and what are these moments equal to? (write them separately and then add them; also remember your convention so these are positive; negative if you chose otherwise )

Similarly, which forces cause anticlockwise moments, write them down with the appropriate sign?

If you are having trouble with finding the distances, draw a vertical line and horizontal line through P, then for each for each force's direction draw a perpendicular line to it until it intersects with your line through P, this will the perpendicular distance. (Say if the force is vertical, you would draw a horizontal line)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  4. Aug 19, 2011 #3
    Using positive moments as clockwise rotation, The 20N force x 3m distance makes 60Nm. Then with the 5N and 10N forces become -10Nm and -20Nm respectively. 60-20-10= 30Nm which was the correct answer. Thanks heaps!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook