Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ASA and ASPIRIN

1. Nov 21, 2004 #1
    For a project (grade 12), i have to do some research on therapeutic drugs, namely ASA.
    I do have some questions that i find difficult to search online for.

1. What types of methods are involved in creating different types of therapeutic drugs? (i know its broad, but can i please have at least some info?)

2. How can i synthesize ASA with chemicals that i can easliy access?

3. If i want to titrate ASA, does that mean it is a liquid? If its a solid, what would i dissolve it into if i DO want to titrate it?

4. What some other prominent organic acids, and what makes ASA so "special" compared to those other acids.

I know this is a long post, so if you can't really post it on this site, my email is jdecamillis87@yahoo.com. Please send me some info. I would GREATLY appreciate it.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2004 #2

chem_tr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

About acetylsalicylic acid (ASA)

I will not answer this, since it is a huge concept and I don't know much about it. Sorry.
    Well, this is kinda simple, salicylic acid is commercially available, and acetyl chloride, and pyridine (or triethylamine, etc.) are so. You'll just acetylate the hydroxide in salicylic acid. You can find a procedure if you google with this term, "aspirin synthesis".

No, it is in solution. Acetylsalicylic acid is a water-soluble chemical; just dissolve it in hot water and do the titration after you cool it to ambient temperature. If crystals occur, add some more water and boil, and repeat this procedure.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. ASA is a special one, since it is deacetylated to salicylic acid in bowels, which is the real effective chemical.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2004
  4. Nov 22, 2004 #3
    Thanx a bunch!!

But one more thing. What is the best base to use (that is accessible) if i want to titrate ASA and why? Thanx for the help!

5. Nov 23, 2004 #4

chem_tr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't try to find the solution far away; sodium or potassium hydroxide seem okay to me. If you have to do the titration in a non-aqueous medium, then tetrabutylammonium hydroxide is a superb base.

The why part is simple, I will let you find this by yourself.

6. Dec 5, 2004 #5
    what makes tetrabutylammonium hydroxide such a good titrating base, and is this a readily available substance for a 12th grader?

7. Dec 5, 2004 #6

chem_tr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

well, TBAH is not a very available substance, especially such places you are mentioning. However, its strong nature is caused by its great solubility in organic solvents by means of attached four butyl groups (they are hydrophobic groups, so they help the substance be soluble in a bunch of organic solvents). And since it has a hydroxide group on it, it is a good base.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?