Titrating ASA Tablets: NaHO and Ethanol

• Thread starter appykid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ethanol
In summary, the process to find the quantity of active ingredient in a commercial ASA tablet involves hydrolyzing the acetylsalicyclic acid with excess NaOH, adjusting the pH, and adding iron to generate a purple complex. Ethanol can also be used, but it is important to ensure the entire tablet is dissolved for accurate analysis. The Spec 20 can be used for the analysis.
appykid
How do I find the quantity of active ingredient in a commercial ASA tablet, using titration and NaHO? I think that I'm supposed to use ethanol too.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
When I did that test back in the day, we used iron to complex with the stuff and measured the intensity of the Fe complex. You could use NaOH in theory but you will need to get the whole tablet to dissolve to accurately analyze it. Ethanol should work but I'm not sure.

We hydrolyzed the acetylsalicyclic acid with excess NaOH to salicylate and then adjusted the pH to neutral and added the Fe to generate the purple complex. I remember using a Spec 20 for the analysis.

To find the quantity of active ingredient in a commercial ASA tablet using titration and NaHO, you will need to follow a few steps. First, you will need to prepare a standard solution of NaHO by dissolving a known mass of the compound in a known volume of water. This solution will be used to titrate the ASA tablet.

Next, you will need to crush and dissolve the ASA tablet in a known volume of ethanol. This will ensure that the active ingredient is fully dissolved and can be accurately titrated. You can then titrate the ASA solution with the NaHO solution until the endpoint is reached. The endpoint is when the solution turns a light pink color, indicating that all the ASA has reacted with the NaHO.

To calculate the quantity of active ingredient in the ASA tablet, you will need to use the following formula:

Quantity of active ingredient (in grams) = (volume of NaHO solution used in titration x concentration of NaHO solution x molecular weight of ASA) / volume of ethanol used to dissolve the ASA tablet

By using this formula, you can determine the amount of active ingredient present in the ASA tablet. It is important to note that this method may not be 100% accurate, as there may be other ingredients or impurities present in the tablet that can affect the titration results. Therefore, it is always best to confirm your results with other analytical methods.

What is titration?

Titration is a laboratory technique used to determine the concentration of a substance in a solution by reacting it with a known volume and concentration of another substance.

Why is titration used for ASA tablets?

Titration is used for ASA (acetylsalicylic acid) tablets to determine the exact concentration of the active ingredient, as well as to check for impurities and ensure quality control in the manufacturing process.

What is the role of NaOH and ethanol in titrating ASA tablets?

NaOH (sodium hydroxide) is used as a standardized base solution to react with the ASA in the tablet, while ethanol is used as a solvent to dissolve the ASA and aid in the reaction.

How is the titration process performed?

The ASA tablet is first dissolved in ethanol and then a few drops of phenolphthalein indicator are added. The standardized NaOH solution is then slowly added to the solution until a color change occurs, indicating the endpoint of the reaction. The volume of NaOH used is then used to calculate the concentration of ASA in the tablet.

What factors can affect the accuracy of titrating ASA tablets?

The accuracy of titrating ASA tablets can be affected by factors such as incorrect measurements, impurities in the ASA tablet, and human error in determining the color change endpoint. It is important to carefully follow the procedure and use precise measurements to ensure accurate results.