Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Asexuals with hypnosis

1. Jan 12, 2006 #1

Can male or female heterosexual humans become asexual using hypnosis or someother psychological method? And by asexual, i mean losing any kind of sexual attraction or desire. As I understand sexual attraction is not only hormons, but hard-wired chemicals in our minds. Do you know any past or current research about the subject?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2006 #2

Sexuality is deep-rooted in our brains, one of the most basic functions. I don't know how hypnosis could affect it. In fact, isn't hypnosis a myth?
  4. Jan 13, 2006 #3
    I know asexuals exist, but do not know the cause of it. My bet is that its possible. One can make people believe they are pigs(?), and make them see blue colors as red, so why not asexual? Maybe a trick would be needed such as evoking disgust when seeing other humans.

And i wonder when a male is hypnotised to feel female, if he will be attracted to males.
  5. Jan 13, 2006 #4

So hypnotism is real?
  6. Jan 14, 2006 #5
    It works in a certain way yes. Heres a NY times story:

And here is research about it:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?