Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Asian Inventors/Inventions

1. Jan 26, 2005 #1

mrjeffy321

Science Advisor

Hello,
    The other day in class my teacher mentioned something about how when she used to teach in [South] Korea, she was astonished at the kids' lack of crativity and original though, sure they are smart because they can memorize facts and recite them on tests, but they cant do very much original thinking because for all of their lives they have been pressured into only being able to take a test well, know what is in the book, and then give it back on a test so that you get good grades and get into good schools (and learn something along the way if you can too). She made the comment that theyre arent (m)any Asian Inventors due to their lack of original thinking, sure they can take what other people invent (the westerner's) and make it smaller, faster, cheaper, ..., but they dont have many new ideas on their own.

I just cant accept that there is such a lack of inventors/inventions comming out of that part of the world, does anyone else know of any (in recent times that is, gun powder doesnt count, in the past 50 years or so). I cant find any truely asian inventors, I can find some that are asian born and then emmigrated to another country (which then they get creativitly encouraged), but few that are without that extra (foreign) encouragment. and by asia, I mean countries like, but not limited to, China, Korea, Japan, Vietnam, ...

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2005 #2
    Asian..does Russian's Automat Kalashnikov 47 count? Haha..Russia is part Asia. =]

Well, I'm Chinese myself, and I am interested in knowing as well.

4. Jan 26, 2005 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wouldn't know specific inventors or inventions, but considering that the patent firm my friend works for has an entire division devoted entirely to Japanese clients, there must be quite a few inventions being patented. Of course, it's hard to think of any inventions nowadays, from anywhere, that aren't all along the lines of "smaller, cheaper, faster" versions of something else already out there. Your teacher sounds a bit biased.

5. Jan 26, 2005 #4

mrjeffy321

Science Advisor

Yes, she is very opinionated, and that is why I would take great pleasure at walking in and giving some miraculous achievment that she could not refute, but this seems to be a harder task than I originally though it would be.

Although technically, the Russian AK 47 might count, it might be said that it is just another modification to an already existing invention of the gun/machine gun, but then if you think that way, you eliminate quite a few things from the table as far as inventions go.

6. Jan 26, 2005 #5

Curious3141

Homework Helper

The sound card that you use in your PC was invented by a Singaporean, Sim Wong Hoo, founder of Creative Technologies.

7. Jan 26, 2005 #6
    asians made spaghetti

8. Jan 26, 2005 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

9. Jan 26, 2005 #8
    Are you talking about people from Asia or of Asian decent? Michio Kaku seems pretty creative. And weren't some of the neutrino experiments Japanese?
    How about things like Digi-pets. those were huge a few years ago and very novel ideas.
    Most inventions since the wheel have just been modifications of it. If situations were reversed and Japan invented the car and we came up with improvements to it your teacher would be saying that all the Japanese can do it is invent something, it takes American creativity and genius to take that rough idea and really make it shine. your teacher is a bigot, and probably doesn't even realize it.

10. Jan 26, 2005 #9

mrjeffy321

Science Advisor

you make a very good point, I think we can all agree that this teacher doesnt really know what she is talking about.

EDIT:
    more on Sim Wong Hoo
    http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2004-06-28-sim_x.htm

Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  11. Jan 26, 2005 #10
    whoops, sorry. didn't mean to do that. It won't happen again.

12. Jan 26, 2005 #11
    Anyone who knows anything about Japanese culture will refute this easily, ever heard of Chindogu? :rofl:

13. Jan 26, 2005 #12
    all awesome video games also basically come from japan

14. Jan 26, 2005 #13
    Bah, I hate japanese video games, all the best video games come from Canada.

15. Jan 26, 2005 #14
    I shouldn't know this, but I actually know a Canadian game I think. Prince of Persia's from Canada right? Speaking of Canada, have they invented anything? They don't even make improvements on our inventions.
    Tell your teacher to focus her bigotry someplace more deserving. down with Canada.

16. Jan 27, 2005 #15
    Canadian video games? I probably consider video games American based (American being the US and Canada), or Japanese based. Mainly because I think the big cities in Canada have EA offices, and other big vid corp offices, so they probably create them together. Unless there are French video games created in Canada and then ported to English.

17. Jan 27, 2005 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Smurf, I'll be over here reading this book really studiously. I will be so focused on my reading, that I probably wouldn't even see it if tribdog just, y'know, "accidentally fell" into some numchucks. I mean, nobody would think that was unusual, and I'm sure I wouldn't even bother to look up to see anything. :wink: :rofl:

18. Jan 27, 2005 #17
    you just cannot mean that....Smurf, which Canadian games do you mean?

At least the most famous and creative ones come from Asia. Who could refute the enormous creativity of the series of Mario games, of Zelda, or of Final Fantasy?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2005
  19. Jan 27, 2005 #18
    all of which are variations of the original game, invented in america, pong.

20. Jan 27, 2005 #19
    I think Rockstar Games(Grand Theft Auto) is in Canada. As for the original post I would say the CD player and the blue laser. Also any asian nobel prize winners are probably very original. However when is something considered original and when is it an improvement?

21. Jan 27, 2005 #20
    good example! how creative is pong? and then look at what the asians made!

Let me add some other early games from Asia:
    Space invaders, Pacman, Donkey Kong

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?