What is the true solution to Asimov's Pate de Foie Gras problem?

• Thread starter mbrmbrg
  • Start date
In summary, "Pate de Foie Gras" is a short story by Asimov that presents a problem with one rational answer, but as science advances, a better answer is discovered. The author is considering suing the scientific establishment for this unauthorized advancement. The story's brilliance is best appreciated when the reader takes time to realize the plot.
mbrmbrg
Asimov's "Pate de Foie Gras"

So how did The Goose do it?
When I first read "Pate de Foie Gras," I thought that it was probably just another Asimovian gag, but I recently re-read the short story (anthologized in Laughing Space, pub. 1982), and the story was preceded by the following blurb:
This story, written a quarter-century ago, was carefully designed to allow one rational answer to the question that was asked at the end. To my pleasure, I got a number of answers (correct ones) over the next decade or so, with everyone marveling at the ingenuity of the problem.
Imagine my chagrin, however, when the advance of science made possible another answer that was better than any I had imagined. I found myself beginning to get that better answer from more and more people who were astonished (since the new answer was an obvious one) that the character in the story had any trouble at all.
I am seriously considering a lawsuit against the scientific establishment for the crime of making unauthorized scientific advances. The least they might have done would hae been to clear the whole thin with me first.

So now I am plagued by curiosity...

Physics news on Phys.org
How did the goose do what?

I remember reading a discussion about this story on these forums somewhere, maybe you should check the brain teaser section?

Now, you don't really want me to tell you, do you? The story's so much better when it takes you over a page to realize the sheer brilliance of the plot!
Thanks for the suggestion, I'm off to search the forums...

Durn. Not finding what I'm looking for. Double durn is that I need to get off of physics forums and write my paper that's due tomorrow.

1. What is Asimov's Pate de Foie Gras?

Asimov's Pate de Foie Gras is a fictional food mentioned in Isaac Asimov's short story "Robbie." It is a delicacy made from the liver of a goose that has been force-fed to increase its size.

2. Is Asimov's Pate de Foie Gras a real food?

No, Asimov's Pate de Foie Gras is not a real food. It was created by Isaac Asimov for his short story and does not exist in the real world.

3. Why did Asimov choose to include Pate de Foie Gras in his story?

Asimov likely chose to include Pate de Foie Gras in his story as a symbol of luxury and excess, as the process of force-feeding geese to produce this delicacy is often considered controversial and inhumane.

4. Is Pate de Foie Gras still considered controversial today?

Yes, the production of Pate de Foie Gras is still considered controversial and has been banned in some countries due to animal welfare concerns.

5. Can Pate de Foie Gras be made from other animals besides geese?

Yes, Pate de Foie Gras can also be made from the liver of ducks and chickens, although goose liver is considered the most traditional and prized for this dish.

Back