Understanding De Moivre's Theorem and Riemann Sums

• Thread starter songoku
  • Start date
In summary: I'm not sure if I can do thisIn summary, the conversation discusses two topics: De Moivre's theorem for an integral exponent and the idea of area under a curve as the limit of a sum of areas of rectangles. De Moivre's theorem states that e^inx = (cos x + i sin x)^n = cos nx + i sin nx, where n is an integer. The conversation also mentions the use of Riemann sums to define the Riemann integral.
songoku
I read my exam's syllabus and come across these topic :

1. De Moivre’s theorem for an integral exponent (without proof)

2. The idea of area under a curve as the limit of a sum of areas of rectangles.

My teacher never taught the class about this topic. I want to ask what these topics about.

De Moivre’s theorem for an integral exponent

Is this the meaning :

[tex]\int ~e^{i \theta}~d\theta~=~\int ~(\cos~\theta~+~i\sin\theta)~d\theta[/tex]

Then we consider i as a constant and just do simple integral?

For the second one, I don't know the meaning...

Can anyone give me a clue what I shoud study about these two topics. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
1) De Moivre's theorem states that e^inx = (cos x + i sin x)^n = cos nx + i sin nx. Once you believe e^ix = cos x + i sin x, this is very easy to demonstrate. He's specifically referring to n being an integer, but it should be true for n being any real number, as far as I know.

2) This is the notion of a Riemann sum, which defines the Riemann integral. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riemann_sum

Hi chris

About the integral part of De Moivre's theorem, Is what I posted right?

Oh my...riemann sum...

1. What is the purpose of asking about an exam's syllabus?

Asking about an exam's syllabus allows students to gain a better understanding of the topics and material that will be covered on the exam. This can help students to focus their studying and prepare more effectively.

2. How can I obtain a copy of the exam's syllabus?

You can typically obtain a copy of the exam's syllabus from your teacher or professor. It may also be available on the course website or through your school's online portal.

3. Can the exam's syllabus change?

Yes, the exam's syllabus may change if the teacher or professor decides to add or remove topics from the course. It is important to check for any updates or changes to the syllabus throughout the course.

4. Is the exam's syllabus the same for all students?

In most cases, yes, the exam's syllabus is the same for all students in a particular course. However, there may be some variations for students in different sections or with different instructors.

5. How should I use the exam's syllabus to study for the exam?

You can use the exam's syllabus to create a study plan and prioritize the topics that will be covered on the exam. It is also helpful to review the syllabus regularly and make sure you are familiar with all of the material listed.