How to Pronounce A' in Transformations | ASK

• MHB
  • Thread starter Monoxdifly
  • Start date
In summary, when an ABC triangle is transformed, the result is triangle A'B'C'. In American English, A' is pronounced as "A prime", while in British English it is more commonly referred to as "A dash". However, "A prime" is also becoming more widely used.
Monoxdifly
MHB
If an ABC triangle is transformed, the result will be triangle A'B'C'. In my country, A' is read as "A accent". However, when I saw this transformation video (Video: Transformations - Translation, Reflection, Dilation, and Rotation | Educational Video | WatchKnowLearn Educational Videos | WatchKnowLearn), they seem to pronounce A' as "A prime", "A point", "A prune", "A plum", whichever was right since I suck at English-listening. So, can you people tell me what exactly do they say how to pronounce A'?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Monoxdifly said:
If an ABC triangle is transformed, the result will be triangle A'B'C'. In my country, A' is read as "A accent". However, when I saw this transformation video (Video: Transformations - Translation, Reflection, Dilation, and Rotation | Educational Video | WatchKnowLearn Educational Videos | WatchKnowLearn), they seem to pronounce A' as "A prime", "A point", "A prune", "A plum", whichever was right since I suck at English-listening. So, can you people tell me what exactly do they say how to pronounce A'?
In American English it would be "A prime". In British English it would be more usual to say "A dash".

Ah, thank you.

Did someone edit my post?

I pronounce it “A prime”. (“A dash” sounds funny to me – it would appear to refer to something like A—.)

Olinguito said:
I pronounce it “A prime”. (“A dash” sounds funny to me – it would appear to refer to something like A—.)
Chambers dictionary gives one of the meanings of dash as "an acute accent used in algebra and in lettering of diagrams as a discriminating mark". But perhaps that is now a bit out of date – I suspect that younger people may be more likely to call it a prime.

1. How do you pronounce "A'" in transformations?

The pronunciation of "A'" in transformations is "ay-prime".

2. Is "A'" pronounced differently from "A" in transformations?

Yes, "A'" is pronounced differently from "A" in transformations. "A" is pronounced as "ay" while "A'" is pronounced as "ay-prime".

3. What does "A'" stand for in transformations?

"A'" is a mathematical notation used to represent a transformed version of the original figure or object.

4. Can "A'" be pronounced as "A prime" in transformations?

Yes, "A'" can be pronounced as "A prime" in transformations. However, "ay-prime" is the more commonly used pronunciation.

5. Is there a specific rule for pronouncing "A'" in transformations?

Yes, there is a specific rule for pronouncing "A'" in transformations. The prime symbol (') is used to indicate a transformation of the original figure or object, and it is pronounced as "prime" after the letter it is attached to.