Asking a prof for an assignment

• Thread starter sutupidmath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Assignment
In summary, a student is asking their favorite math professor if they can give them a big assignment over the summer to keep them busy. The professor says that it is not an official research program, but that the student can still do extra credit research. The student is going to ask their professor tomorrow.
sutupidmath
Asking a prof for an assignment!

Hi, since the end of the semester is approaching,and i am planning on going home for the summer, so no summer classes, i was planning to work something on my own, like in some math topics. However, I was wondering whether it would be a better idea to ask one of my favorite math proffesors to give me some kind of a big assignment in math so i could work on it during the summer. Just so you know, i am not doing this to show of or anything like that, but just to keep myslef busy during the summer. But what i would like to know is would it be too much of a load for a prof. to give her students' assignments like this? I mean, since this is not some kind of research program, would it be too much of a load for her if i asked her to give me such an assignment? Or would that sound right, at first place?

Thnx in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the deal is that the university wher i am does not have research programs in math for undergrads. But, yeah, that's defenitely what i'll do. I'll see what she says. But i was just wondering whether my request would be too greedy since there are no official research programs here.

No, definitely wouldn't be greedy. Just because there are no research programs doesn't mean you can't still do extra-credit research.

The stuff I'm working on isn't ground-breaking nor is it something they need soon, but it has to be done sooner or later. So, even if I crash and burn it won't be too bad. Hopefully something can be found for you that is like that, so you can work on in without worrying or them worrying.

But, it still comes down to you asking. :smile:

Poop-Loops said:
No, definitely wouldn't be greedy. Just because there are no research programs doesn't mean you can't still do extra-credit research.

The stuff I'm working on isn't ground-breaking nor is it something they need soon, but it has to be done sooner or later. So, even if I crash and burn it won't be too bad. Hopefully something can be found for you that is like that, so you can work on in without worrying or them worrying.

But, it still comes down to you asking. :smile:

Well, thanks, i am going to ask her tomorrow! I hope there will be something for me!

I think researching in math would be quite hard. But that's just me. I'm just planning (actually more like hoping to)to read up on some topics myself over the summer too. I often get led astray. =(

But I think talking to your prof about it should be a good idea. :P

Gallileo said:
I think researching in math would be quite hard.

Well, yeah i agree, but i am not intending to ask her to give me some kind of research topic, just something that would be kind of hard to come up with conclusions about. Because i really have no idea what could an undergrad research in math...

Last edited:
Do next semester courses!
Find future courses websites/simply google

What is the best way to ask a professor for an assignment?

The best way to ask a professor for an assignment is to be direct and professional. You can start by introducing yourself and explaining why you need the assignment. Be sure to use proper language and thank the professor for their time.

Is it appropriate to ask a professor for an extension on an assignment?

Yes, it is appropriate to ask a professor for an extension on an assignment. However, make sure to have a valid reason and ask in advance. Also, be respectful and understanding if the professor is unable to grant the extension.

What should I do if I am having trouble understanding an assignment given by a professor?

If you are having trouble understanding an assignment given by a professor, you can ask for clarification during office hours or send them an email. It is important to be specific about what you are struggling with and ask for specific guidance or examples.

Can I ask a professor for feedback on a draft of an assignment?

Yes, it is appropriate to ask a professor for feedback on a draft of an assignment. However, make sure to follow the professor's guidelines for submitting drafts and give them enough time to review it. Be open to constructive criticism and use their feedback to improve your final submission.

How should I approach a professor about a group assignment issue?

If you are experiencing issues with a group assignment, it is best to first try to resolve the issue within the group. If that does not work, approach the professor in a calm and respectful manner and explain the situation. Be prepared to provide evidence of the issue and suggest a solution. Remember to be professional and avoid blaming your group members.