Design Tool for Compression Testing of Small Samples

In summary, the conversation is about designing a tool for compression testing small samples on small platens. The suggestion is to use a magnetic clip or adhesive to hold the sample in place while adjusting its position. Other ideas include using a sheet of material with a hole or attaching the sample to a rod. The conversation also mentions considering the material of the samples and the complexity of the requirements.
Andromeda1992
TL;DR Summary
I need to design a tool to appropriately position and align my compression samples
Hello all,

I am looking for some design ideas. I need to do some compression testing and here is my testing platens:
20220429_100629.jpg

The platens are small (5mm*5 mm) and my samples are even smaller with the cross section of 3mm*2.4mm, so it would be difficult to both position them within the platens and align them with the center of the platens. I need to design a simple tool like a jig or something to help me position and align my samples. I can print that with a 3D printer. Does anyone have any design idea for such a tool. I'd really appreciate your ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

What material(s) will your samples be made of? Ferrous or non-ferrous?

It looks like the right platen is stationary, so you could make a small magnetic clip that sits on the top surface of the right platen and holds the sample either magnetically or with a dab of adhesive. You can then position the clip left-right to put the sample against the right platen surface, and you can have some sort of up-down adjustment as part of the clip's sample holding mechanism.

61aC9CqeMBL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Only half joking here. How complex are your requirements?

More ideas:

1) Stick the sample in place with cyanoacrylate glue.

2) Cut a (rectangular?) hole in a sheet of paper/plastic/rubber/thin sheet of something, press the sample into the hole, clamp the thin sheet in a larger fixture to position the sample.

3) Superglue the side of the sample to the end of a rod. Clamp the rod in an external fixture.

Likes berkeman

1. What is a Design Tool for Compression Testing of Small Samples?

A Design Tool for Compression Testing of Small Samples is a specialized instrument used by scientists and engineers to apply compressive force to small samples in order to measure their strength and deformation properties.

2. How does a Design Tool for Compression Testing of Small Samples work?

The Design Tool for Compression Testing of Small Samples works by using a hydraulic or mechanical system to apply a controlled compressive force to the sample. This force is then measured and recorded, along with the resulting deformation of the sample, to determine its compressive properties.

3. What types of samples can be tested with a Design Tool for Compression Testing of Small Samples?

A Design Tool for Compression Testing of Small Samples can be used to test a variety of materials, including metals, plastics, rubbers, and composites. It is particularly useful for testing small or delicate samples that may be difficult to test using other methods.

4. What are the benefits of using a Design Tool for Compression Testing of Small Samples?

The use of a Design Tool for Compression Testing of Small Samples allows for precise and controlled testing of small samples, providing accurate data on their compressive properties. It also allows for the testing of a wide range of materials, making it a versatile tool for scientists and engineers.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Design Tool for Compression Testing of Small Samples?

While a Design Tool for Compression Testing of Small Samples is a useful instrument, it does have some limitations. It may not be suitable for testing larger samples or those that require more complex loading conditions. Additionally, the accuracy of the results may be affected by factors such as sample preparation and alignment.