Asking for Help in Loll's Paper

• Thread starter Alamino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paper
In summary, asking for help in Loll's paper is a necessary and beneficial step in the writing process. By seeking advice and feedback from peers, instructors, or writing centers, writers can improve the quality of their paper and gain new perspectives on their ideas. Asking for help can also help writers catch grammatical errors or areas of confusion in their writing. It is important to approach asking for help with a positive attitude and to be open to constructive criticism. Ultimately, seeking assistance can lead to a stronger and more polished final paper.
Alamino
I've been trying to figure out how the passage from formula (4) to formula (5) of Loll & Westra's paper http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0306183 is made, but I could not fill in the details of the calculations. Can anyone give me some help (whatever it is: tips, parts of the calculations, the whole one :eek:) ...)?

Thanks,
Roberto.

Physics news on Phys.org
Alamino said:
I've been trying to figure out how the passage from formula (4) to formula (5) of Loll & Westra's paper http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0306183 is made, but I could not fill in the details of the calculations. Can anyone give me some help (whatever it is: tips, parts of the calculations, the whole one :eek:) ...)?

Thanks,
Roberto.

Hi Roberto, glad you asked!

The detailed explanation of that step can be found on pages 6 thru 8 of
http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0309012

your equations (4) and (5)

in this paper they have different numbers, they are (3) and (8)

and in between there is coming some equations (4, 5, 6, 7) and
some paragraphs of discussion, to show how to get from one equation to the next

see if this longer more detailed derivation helps---in case of difficulty at some step, please ask here at PF, I or someone else will help if we can
(but other times I might not always be able to---I don't understand everything myself!)

Thank you, Marcus. That paper will help. I´ll try to do the calculations and tell you the result after.

I finally found the way to calculate the partition function. As I promised, I´m linking to a little PDF document I wrote with the calculation. I know it is not a complicated calculation (maybe it is even trivial...) but I needed to use a trick I didn´t know before. Anyway, if there is anyone interested, the file is in

http://www.geocities.com/robertoalamino/docs/pf.pdf

Alamino said:
I finally found the way to calculate the partition function. As I promised, I´m linking to a little PDF document I wrote with the calculation. I know it is not a complicated calculation (maybe it is even trivial...) but I needed to use a trick I didn´t know before. Anyway, if there is anyone interested, the file is in

http://www.geocities.com/robertoalamino/docs/pf.pdf

thanks, Roberto
It is neat, well-presented work. I checked some steps (including your equation (4)) but not all. Every part I looked at made sense to me. If there is ever any way you think I can be helpful (as a non-expert laid-back CDT watcher) please don't hesitate to send a PM.
marcus

Hey! That's great! Calculating the partition function, where there is topology change, is what it's all about! Maybe you are really getting on top of that Loll/Westra research. :biggrin: :cool:

BTW if you don't mind saying (or saying in PM) where are you located geographically?

And did the Utrecht people ever reply to your email?

they sometimes do reply, and sometimes they don't, and sometimes they simply are slow---which is understandable since they are doing research at a rapid pace and must be very busy.

the Loop 05 conference is in a little over one month, on the outskirts of Berlin, officially registration is closed, but one should treat deadlines with appropriate skepticism
http://loops05.aei.mpg.de/

Last edited:

1. What is the significance of asking for help in Loll's paper?

Asking for help in Loll's paper is important because it allows the researcher to gain feedback from peers and experts in the field. This can improve the quality of the paper and provide new insights and perspectives.

2. How should one go about asking for help in Loll's paper?

The best way to ask for help in Loll's paper is to reach out to colleagues, professors, or other experts in the field. This can be done through email, in-person meetings, or online forums. Be specific about what kind of help is needed and provide a clear outline of the paper.

3. Is it okay to ask for help in Loll's paper if I am the sole author?

Yes, it is perfectly acceptable to ask for help in Loll's paper even if you are the sole author. In fact, seeking feedback and input from others can improve the overall quality of the paper and strengthen your arguments.

4. How can I ensure that I am not plagiarizing while asking for help in Loll's paper?

To avoid plagiarism, it is important to properly cite any ideas or information that you receive from others while asking for help in Loll's paper. Be sure to give credit to the original source and use quotation marks when directly quoting someone else's work.

5. Are there any other benefits to asking for help in Loll's paper?

In addition to improving the quality of the paper, asking for help in Loll's paper can also help to build relationships and networks within the scientific community. It can also lead to new collaborations and opportunities for future research projects.