1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Asking TA for Med-School LOR

1. Mar 2, 2012 #1
    I am a second year graduate student at a large research university. I am a Ph.D. student, but I have not yet taken quals. My field of research is Physics Education. Last semester I TA'd a studio-based introductory course of about 81 students (the first semester algebra-based course that pre-meds take), which I was not the instructor on record. The studio-based method allows for much interaction and very little lecture, so the duties of a TA vs. a professor are essentially the same. A student from this course has approached me and asked if I will write them a letter of recommendation for medical school. The student was very good and I would have no trouble writing a good LOR for them, but should I? I have advised the student that it would most likely be better to get a LOR from a professor whose reputation would far exceed mine. Should I write the letter and just have the professor on record co-sign? I am really not sure if a LOR from a TA would hold up very well against other applicants. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2012 #2
    I taught recitations as a TA. One of the brighter and enthusiastic students approached me to write a scholarship recommendation.

I declined it firmly as (in my opinion) it would have done her no good. I am just a senior undergraduate.

4. Mar 3, 2012 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Likely a letter of reference from a TA isn't going to count for much, but sometimes there's a context issue to consider. Say for example this pre-med student needs three reference letters. She already has one glowing recommendation from a physician that she has done volunteer work with for the last three years and one from an organic chemistry professor that she's published a paper with several years ago. She needs a third one to fill in the blank and you're the one she's most comfortable asking.

In my opinion, it's best to let the student worry about that kind of thing - provided you have not misrepresented yourself.

Then make a decision on whether or not to write the letter on other factors such as your actual opinion of the student and the time you need to do it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook