Asperger Syndrome: Overcoming Challenges

• Thread starter Entropia
  • Start date
In summary: The diagnosis of these various things seem to vary a bit. I've had some people tell me that I'm borderline autistic and others who would think that silly. it depends on what symptons you consider as required. not all people are going to show all of them. it seems like maybe it's not a clear cut thing and there are varying degrees. so to say that "austistics have X" could be a little misleading. it's more like they tend to be certain ways.same with aspergers. it seems there's a lot of over diagnosis because of flexible definitions of... anything. :(
Entropia
<sigh>

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20030501/od_nm/science_autism_dc_5 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Some Swede and french scientist have discover genetic link for AS and autisme.

If you can read french here a link
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sciences/article/1,152,326,042003,251704.shtml [Broken]

It says that Thomas Bourgeron of the Institut Pasteur, and Marion Leboyer and Christopher Gillberg of the Goteborg University Hospital have find two distinct family of mutation in two different gene on chromosome X. So women are passing down the gene.

So they could test Einstein (they must have some cell somewhere) and his family for this mutation. Anyway, I don't think Einstein and Newton suffer AS. I think are just trying to get the disease known and better study. I think that what Elliot said is probably rigth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings !

If this AS means you have problems making
small talk then hell - I'm "sick" too !
So what ? :wink:
"Small talk" makes no sense to me. I talk
to you guys because we actualy TALK about
stuff that's interesting to me. I'm not
intrested in most types of things "normal"
people are interested in. To me those
things make no difference whatsoever.
Who wants to be "normal" anyway ?

Live long and prosper.

Newton may well have had this condition, but I do not think Einstein did.

Note how the only way they can tell that they have asbergers is if they are bad socially.

Soon they will be diagnosing everyone who is not a completely normal all of the time with syndromes.

Originally posted by plus

Soon they will be diagnosing everyone who is not a completely normal all of the time with syndromes.
Plus would you agree that no one is normal and that we all have some type of sydrome?

I've heard Wittgenstein being attributed with the same condition in the past. Einstein being thought to have been Autistic isn't new though, I remember years ago the same conjecture being put forward.

I'm more concerned to think that Professor Simon Baron-Cohen may well be related to another Cambridge graduate, Sascha Baron-Cohen, otherwise known to the world (well, the UK) as Ali G.

As an undergraduate I took a graduate level, special topics, History of Science class on the life of Albert Einstein. I had to read six different biographies on him, and after doing so I can tell you that Albert Einstein did not have AS.

AS is a serious affliction. People with AS can not distinguish between sarcasm and seriousness. From what I've read, Albert Einstein was known for his sarcastic wit.

People with AS not only have trouble relating to others, but often cannot help but think of other people as mere objects. During his life, Albert Einstein had several lovers and many close friends.

AS sufferers usually become obsessed with a particular inanimate object such as washing machines or trains. They become completely enthralled with learning all the details of what makes that single object work. Unfortunately, they usually cannot apply this obsessive behavior towards just anything. Look at Albert Einstein's accomplishments. Not only did he invent an area of physics which no one had previously conceived of, his work expanded into almost every study of physics (including statistical mechanics, electrodynamics, solid state, atomic, and quantum physics), and he had invented several instrumentation devices. I don't think someone with AS would be so diverse.

Actually, Asperger is a rather mild form of autism; and, autistics in general range from "completely disabled" to "fully functional". I myself fall into the latter category. It can be difficult to distinguish a fully functional autistic from a "normal" person . . . until they focus, for five or more minutes, on some trivial thing like a crack in the wall or a penny on the ground. (I have done this.)

Ben-CS

Originally posted by Ben-CS
Actually, Asperger is a rather mild form of autism; and, autistics in general range from "completely disabled" to "fully functional". I myself fall into the latter category.

But how can you be sure of this?

eNtRopY

wow, i just heard of this syndrome for the first time ever a few days ago when I met someone online who had it. Strange. Maybe I should direct her here?

The diagnosis of these various things seem to vary a bit. I've had some people tell me that I'm borderline autistic and others who would think that silly. it depends on what symptons you consider as required. not all people are going to show all of them. it seems like maybe it's not a clear cut thing and there are varying degrees. so to say that "austistics have X" could be a little misleading. it's more like they tend to be certain ways.

same with aspergers. it seems there's a lot of over diagnosis because of flexible definitions of things.

I stand by my original assertion that Albert Einstein did NOT have Asperger's Syndrome.

You see the basic problem is that these days anything can be considered academic. A person can actually write a PhD thesis on the influence that Star Wars had on generation X or the social interaction of people at raves. The integrity of our research is being degraded by people who reject the traditional rigors of academia.

Somebody out there wanted to make a name for him/herself in the history of science community so he/she said that Einstein and Newton had AS. You know what... this is nothing new. People rewrite history whenever they can't think of anything new to say.

The bottom line is that people will always publish bull**** because it's easier than publishing something of value. We who seek truth should always be aware of this. We should ask for references, question what we read, and filter that which is not self-consistent.

eNtRopY

Originally posted by eNtRopY
A person can actually write a PhD thesis on the influence that Star Wars had on generation X or the social interaction of people at raves.

I wonder if someone is doing is Ph.D thesis on the simpsons and Homer's parental skills. People study social "science" can do whatever they want. Anyway I agree with you Entropy about Einstein and about people studing social science. I never thaught that Social science were actually science. Some of my friend (studying in pure science) took some psychology class and realize that some time its a matter of opinion rather than having good experiemental design.

I never thaught that Social science were actually science. Some of my friend (studying in pure science) took some psychology class and realize that some time its a matter of opinion rather than having good experiemental design.

hey hey. it depends. psychology reseach varies greatly. some of it is pure sceince, some of it isn't exactly. depends on what area you are in, cogntive, clinical, social, biological, ect.

sorry i always have to defend psychology.

Iansmith

your signature isn't Murphy's Law, it's the Harvard law of Animal Behavior.

Attachments

• no-one.jpg
    no-one.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 771
Last edited:

What is Asperger Syndrome?

Asperger Syndrome is a developmental disorder that affects a person's social and communication skills. It is considered on the autism spectrum, and individuals with Asperger Syndrome often have difficulty with social interactions, nonverbal communication, and may have specific interests or routines.

What are the symptoms of Asperger Syndrome?

The symptoms of Asperger Syndrome can vary from person to person, but some common symptoms include difficulty with social interactions, challenges with nonverbal communication, a limited range of interests, and repetitive behaviors.

Can Asperger Syndrome be cured?

Currently, there is no known cure for Asperger Syndrome. However, with early intervention and support, individuals with Asperger Syndrome can learn skills to manage their challenges and lead fulfilling lives.

How is Asperger Syndrome diagnosed?

Asperger Syndrome is typically diagnosed through a combination of observations and assessments by healthcare professionals. This may include interviews with the individual and their family, as well as evaluations of their social and communication skills.

What challenges do individuals with Asperger Syndrome face?

Individuals with Asperger Syndrome may face challenges with social interactions, communication, and understanding social cues. They may also struggle with sensory sensitivities and may have difficulty adjusting to changes in routines. It is important to provide support and understanding for these challenges and to help individuals with Asperger Syndrome develop strategies to overcome them.