1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aspirin questions

1. Dec 15, 2004 #1

etc

these questions were given to us to think 'bout for homework. I thought about the answers but I'm thinking i may be a bit wrong for some? i dunno .. if someone has an extra 2 minutes i'd appreciate their guru imput.

a)
    stomach acid has a pH of about 1.5. Given the acidity of the stomach acid, would Aspirin dissolved in stomach acid be mostly in its ionized or un-ionized form?

For this I figured that aspirin is a weak acid and therefore doesn't fully ionize, in fact i think it's mostly in its molecular form. so, it must be in it's un-ionized form most, right? what i don't get about this is how they ask you to take into account the stomach's acidity ... ??? anyone?

b) Un-ionized aspirin molecules can readily penetrate the stomach lining into a region of less acidity, this is where the stomach irritation associated with aspirin occurs. use le chatalier to explain.

for this i assume that since the pH is higher, then the equilibrium shift of the reaction would shift to the right and more H+ will be made, which is of course acidic, and it makes the new regions acidic, and therefore it irritates.

thanks guys!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2004 #2

FZ+

I suspect it is an equilibrium thing. Low pH = big H+ concentration, which would push the equilibrium with regards to the aspirin molecules a certain way...

Exactamondo!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?