Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aspiring Engineer, My Quest for Enlightenment

1. Jul 28, 2015 #1
    Hello PF,

I'm a college student currently working on my Associates in Engineering Science. I've always been a bit confused throughout my life, always searching for "How to" on google. I guess, for some reason, I thought there would be a guide to life somewhere on the internet. Everyone I know always seemed to know more than I do whether it's the roads on the streets, the name of some random bug, the name of a actor, or other somewhat useless information which still happens to make you feel dumber. It's almost like someone has this big secret I'm not aware of -as if everything's a conspiracy against me.

I joined this forum in hopes to improve myself as a person, while indulging topics relevant to my chosen career. I've never been able to hold on to conversations for very long. I just clam up and listen to others because I never had something new to offer and I realize that the reason behind my silence is the blatant truth that I know nothing about my surroundings. I'd often search on google things like, "How to become a functional adult" or "Common Knowledge" hoping there would be a single website that would put me up to speed with the world around me. Of course, such a thing does not exist. I realize now that I will just have to delve into the world I've chosen and -little by little, I will earn enough knowledge to be more than an exemplary engineer in the future, but a person who can speak and hold discussions.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2015 #2
    Welcome to PF!

4. Jul 28, 2015 #3
    Play trivia.

I'm only half-joking...it's a good way to learn a wide variety of random facts, plus it's fun to do with friends.

Read a lot, pay attention, be curious about the world around you, you'll get there. I'm new to PF myself but welcome, and good luck with your future aspirations!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook