Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Assault Intervention Device

1. Aug 27, 2010 #1

SixNein

Gold Member

I would not agree with this device being used over seas much less in our own jail systems.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_jail_ray_gun [Broken]

Why don't we just launch an inquisitor program?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2010 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

How is it different, ethically, from pepper spray? And what does it have to do with an "inquisitor program"?

4. Aug 27, 2010 #3

SixNein

Gold Member

I don't think it has anything to do with an inquisitor program, but I wanted to over-exaggerate to get the comments rolling =p

Should a device with these capabilities be deployed in jails? I would argue maybe to prisons, but I'm not sure it belongs in jails.

According to a blog at wired, a test person was seriously injured by the device:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010/08/aclu-blasts-jailhouse-pain-ray-condemns-star-wars-tech/

But they may have fixed it?

5. Aug 27, 2010 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

First, that's not obvious at all. But let's assume so.

As opposed to dropping tear gas and beating people into submission? Explain why this is worse because there is a small risk of being burned. And the test subject who was burned was burned because of the device being turned to a too powerful level (beyond what it was supposed to be set to for the scenario in question)

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/dangerroom/files/danger_room.PDF

6. Aug 27, 2010 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Fixed what? Was it broken? Yes, I think it should be used in jails. But I won't explain until you do: this is your thread and it is your responsibility to get the discussion going by explaining your point.

7. Aug 27, 2010 #6

SixNein

Gold Member

They must have released some details on the issue. I'm still reading up on it.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  8. Aug 27, 2010 #7

SixNein

Gold Member

I couldn't find any details on the accident outline in the story, but the poster before you had found one. Apparently, someone set the device too high and caused the test subject to have 2nd degree burns. Apparently, the device had been used by untrained people and without all of the proper equipment.

So the story is much to do about nothing.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  9. Aug 27, 2010 #8

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You know that's called "trolling", right?

10. Aug 27, 2010 #9

SixNein

Gold Member

When the story first came out, the story was exaggerated with comments like "noting that early military versions resulted in five airmen suffering lasting burns."

Oh well, if you have moderate powers... go ahead and lock or delete the thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook