Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Assembly language

1. Feb 29, 2008 #1

Mc.

Hey guys
    I am in the process of learning assembly language on microprocessors and I am progressing slowly.So please if there is anyone, anyone who can recommend something to speed up the process, I am running out of time. I ask for links textbooks or anything that can help.

thank you in advance
    Mc.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2008 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Which uC are you coding in assembly for? What kind of tasks are you coding up? What learning resources do you have already? What assembler package are you using?

4. Mar 1, 2008 #3

Mc.

I am going to be using the ATMega 8515 and there is no specific task I want to do. I need the knowladge for the course I am doing called Digital Systems. To be honest I don't have much it just a few notes I don't think they are enough.

5. Mar 1, 2008 #4

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What level is this Digital Systems class? Do they expect you already know how to program some type of microprocessor (i.e. prerequisite)? Perhaps you can share with us the course outline (a weblink would be nice).

A good starting point is to study the data sheet (especially the instruction set) for your micro. They are available on the net. I can point you to one if you cannot find it.

6. Mar 3, 2008 #5

Mc.

Assembly

Hey thanks guy, I am sorry for not being clear. This is a new course for me and the don't expect me to know anything about programming a micro.
    You can view the course content on the web page below.

Any input is highly appreciated.

http://coursemain.ee.ukzn.ac.za/enel3dsh1/index.asp?Code=ENEL3DSH1

7. Mar 3, 2008 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

From reading the course description, you will get most of what you need in the class. You can work ahead some, if you can find out what assembler you will be using in the class, and get that installed now on your own PC/laptop to play around with some.

And as Ouabache says, read the datasheet for the uC, and look for application notes at the Atmel website about programming the part for various tasks. Have fun!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?