Asset Market and Arrow-Debreu equilibrium

• Thread starter TonyAlmeidaAtLSE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equilibrium
In summary, the conversation discussed the search for a forum to discuss Finance and Economics. The social science zone was deemed not specific enough. The concept of asset market equilibrium and Arrow-Debreu equilibrium was also mentioned, with a question about the budget constraint and market clear conditions. A suggestion of trying the "Wilmott Forums" was given.
TonyAlmeidaAtLSE
I love this forum but I can't find a place to put my following thread, is there any forum as good as this one, if not better to discuss about Finance and Economics? The social science zone is not specific enough, though.

In the asset market equilibrium and Arrow-Debreu equilibrium, for each every agent, the budge constraint has the form of inequality (not strictly), however, Asset market clear is the aggregate asset is zero and market clear is aggregate endowment euqals the aggregate consumption. I wonder if we do Not assume the increasing utility function (local nonsatiation), is it possible that the budget constraint is Not binding while the condition of asset market clear and market clear satisfied respectively, say, some individual's budget constraint is Not binding while the aggregate consumption is equivalent to aggregate endowment?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi

Try googling "Wilmott Forums"

Thank you for your question. I completely understand your frustration with not being able to find a specific forum to discuss finance and economics. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with any other forums that are as good as this one for discussing these topics. However, there are some other options you can explore such as joining online communities or forums that are specifically focused on finance and economics. You can also try reaching out to colleagues or professors who have a similar interest in these subjects to engage in discussions.

As for your question regarding the budget constraint and the conditions of asset market clear and market clear, it is possible for an individual's budget constraint to not be binding while the aggregate consumption is equivalent to the aggregate endowment. This would happen if the individual has a high level of wealth and can afford to consume their entire endowment without having to worry about budget constraints.

However, in the context of asset market and Arrow-Debreu equilibrium, it is assumed that all agents are rational and have increasing utility functions. This means that they would always prefer more consumption over less, and their budget constraint would be binding in order to maximize their utility. In this case, the budget constraint would be strictly binding for all agents.

In summary, it is possible for an individual's budget constraint to not be binding while the conditions of asset market clear and market clear are satisfied, but this would not be the case in the context of asset market and Arrow-Debreu equilibrium where increasing utility functions and rationality are assumed. I hope this helps clarify your question.

What is an asset market?

An asset market is a market where financial assets, such as stocks, bonds, and derivatives, are bought and sold. These assets represent ownership or future claims on real assets, such as goods, services, or resources.

What is the Arrow-Debreu equilibrium?

The Arrow-Debreu equilibrium, also known as the general equilibrium, is a theoretical concept in economics that describes a state in which all markets in an economy are in perfect balance. This means that the supply and demand for all goods and services, including financial assets, are equal, and there is no excess supply or demand in any market.

What are the assumptions of the Arrow-Debreu equilibrium?

The Arrow-Debreu equilibrium is based on the assumptions of perfect competition, rationality of consumers and producers, and complete markets. It also assumes that all agents have perfect information and there are no transaction costs or barriers to trade.

How is an Arrow-Debreu equilibrium achieved?

An Arrow-Debreu equilibrium is achieved when there is a set of prices for all goods and services, including financial assets, that clears all markets. This means that at these prices, the quantity demanded equals the quantity supplied in each market.

What are the implications of the Arrow-Debreu equilibrium?

The Arrow-Debreu equilibrium has several implications, including efficiency, stability, and welfare. It suggests that under perfect competition and complete markets, resources are allocated efficiently, and there is no room for arbitrage or speculation. It also implies that markets are stable, and there is no need for government intervention. Additionally, it suggests that individuals are better off in terms of their utility or well-being under this equilibrium.