Assign a certain position to an object or a variable?

In summary, the conversation mainly revolves around using assembly and C languages to program a game on a Texas Instrument calculator. There is discussion about the different flavors of ASM and the availability of a C compiler for TI calculators. The conversation also includes recommendations for resources and programs to use for testing the game.
JamesU
Gold Member
how could I assign a certain position to an object or a variable? I'm trying to make a game on my calc., and it uses an form of assembly. I want some keys to be able to move my charachter (which is an X)

Computer science news on Phys.org
So is ASM the flavor of the week? Why don't you actually settle on ONE language and do something useful with it. Jumping around from language to language isn't going to make you a better programmer. Ever heard of the expression: jack of all trades but master of none?

ASM in itself comes in many flavors based on the processor used. On the Texas Instrument calculators anything before the TI89 is Z80 ASM while the TI89 and greater is 68k ASM. If your have a TI89 or higher they actually have a C compiler that targets the processor.

Which calculator do you have?

does the 83/84 have the same proc type in it? the 83 came out with the 89, and the 84 is the new 83 type modle

The 83/84/85/86 all use the Z80
The 89/92 use the 68k

I have a TI-89 Titanium. I've never heard of a C compiler on it :confused:

Do I just write the C in the program editor? or do I have to change something first?

No, you have to compile the C program on your computer and then send it to your calculator.

um...what?

yomamma said:
um...what?
If you have virtual TI all you have to do is hit F10 select your compiled app and that's it... simple.

I don't have an F10. :frown:

1. What is the purpose of assigning a position to an object or variable?

Assigning a position to an object or variable allows us to store and access its value in a specific location in the computer's memory. This makes it easier to retrieve and manipulate the value later on in our code.

2. How do you assign a position to an object or variable in programming?

In most programming languages, you can assign a position to an object or variable by using the "equals" sign (=) followed by the value or expression you want to assign. For example: var x = 5; assigns the value of 5 to the variable x.

3. Can you assign a position to an object or variable more than once?

Yes, you can assign a different position or value to an object or variable multiple times in your code. Each time you assign a new value, it will replace the previous one in the designated memory location.

4. What happens if you try to assign a position to an object or variable that is already assigned?

If you try to assign a position to an object or variable that is already assigned, the new value will overwrite the previous one. This can be useful for updating the value of a variable or object as your code runs.

5. Is it possible to assign a position to an object or variable without explicitly specifying the location?

Yes, in some programming languages, you can use functions or methods to automatically assign a position to an object or variable without explicitly specifying the location. For example, in JavaScript, the push() method can be used to add a value to the end of an array without specifying the index.