1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Assignment about Galileo and his contributions to science

1. Sep 18, 2005 #1
    hi im doing an assignment on Galileo in which i have to disscuss and evaluate this quotation:
    "One of Galileo's greatest contributions to science was the establishment of the scientific method-that is investigation through experiment"

Ive done some stuff on the scientific method but i also need to write about:

*Inductive versus deductive reasoning
    *Geocentric versus heliocentric model of the universe

I've looked through all of my textbooks but i can't find anything about these.

Please can someone explain to me what these terms mean in simple words, because some of the websites which i looked at didn't make much sense to me. :confused:
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2005 #2
    As far as I know, inductive reasoning is to formulate new ideas and theories rather than using what you already know and has been discovered by others (=deductive). Heliocentric is Galileo's theory of the sun being the center (of the solar system), rather than it being the earth (=geocentric).

Hope that helps!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?