Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Assignment about Galileo and his contributions to science

1. Sep 18, 2005 #1
    hi im doing an assignment on Galileo in which i have to disscuss and evaluate this quotation:
    "One of Galileo's greatest contributions to science was the establishment of the scientific method-that is investigation through experiment"

Ive done some stuff on the scientific method but i also need to write about:

*Inductive versus deductive reasoning
    *Geocentric versus heliocentric model of the universe

I've looked through all of my textbooks but i can't find anything about these.

Please can someone explain to me what these terms mean in simple words, because some of the websites which i looked at didn't make much sense to me. :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2005 #2
    As far as I know, inductive reasoning is to formulate new ideas and theories rather than using what you already know and has been discovered by others (=deductive). Heliocentric is Galileo's theory of the sun being the center (of the solar system), rather than it being the earth (=geocentric).

Hope that helps!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook