1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Assignment due in less than 1 hr

1. Nov 14, 2004 #1
    Hey ppl, sorry I was just wondering if anyone knew how to do the question i posted earlier(TWO BLOCKS AND TWO PULLEYS), as I have to submit it and cannot figure it out still!?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2004 #2
    can you post a picture of it. I'm having trouble picturing this system.
  4. Nov 14, 2004 #3
    here's the pic, thanks
  5. Nov 14, 2004 #4
    where? I dont see it as part of your post
  6. Nov 15, 2004 #5
    oh sorry tiger, its okay i had to submit it, thx for your time...i cant get the pic up for some reason..

Attached Files:

7. Nov 15, 2004 #6
    never mind must have been my browser
  8. Nov 15, 2004 #7
    well how did you do the first part? it looks right to me. you did:

[tex]\sum{F} = ma[/tex]

always always ALWAYS start with this over and over again (or at least try to strat with this). The right hand side will have only ma or 0 thats all it will ever have ( and zero is a particular case of ma--when it is not accelarating, that is, not moving, or constant velocity) The left hand side just sums your forces. So after picking your postitive and negnative on your x and y axis (always do this too) and drew your free body diagram (I hop you did this) you must of did:

[tex]T + T = m_2a_2[/tex]

And then you solved for T

Now for the next part do the same thing

1) Draw FBD
    2) [tex]\sum{F} = ma[/tex]
    3) [tex]T - m_1g = m_1a_1[/tex]

And then solve for [tex]a_1[/tex] in terms of everything else they gave you
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?