1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Assignment help needed. (banked curves, newton's second law)

1. Oct 19, 2009 #1
    I was solving my assignment questions, and found two questions particularly challenging.
    So I post this thread to get some helps.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Question 1.

Astronauts have connected a line between their 3500kg space tug and a 6200 kg asteroid. Using their ship's engine, they pull on the asteroid with a force of 490 N. They are at rest, 450 m apart. How much time does it take for them to meet?

3. The attempt at a solution
    At first glance, I thought that net force is 490N, and can never be stronger. Thus I concluded that this can be simplified such that the space tug is completely still and the asteroid is moving towards the tug with (490/9700)m/s^2. But I'm not so sure about this. In fact I think it's probably wrong. Should I distribute the force to each objects by their percent mass?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Question 2.
    A suitcase is on a baggage carousel at an airport. The case does not slid and is going around at a constant speed on a circle (r=11,0). The static friction is 0.760 and the angle is 36.
    How much time is required for the suit case to go around once?

3. The attempt at a solution
    For this one, I don't even know where to start. I used the equation g*r*tan (theta). After that, I was not able to go any further.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted