1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Assignment help

1. Aug 24, 2008 #1
    Hey all, as you can see I’m new here and signed up because my uni course is annoying and I was hoping for some good advice and I also found some good material I can use for my assignments.

Currently this is the question that has been giving me grief and my lecturer hasn’t replied to my emails.

part A was to find the magnitude which i have.

Q1. Two point charges q1 = (+)1.5 uC and q2 = (+) 8.5 uC are separated by a distance of 10cm.

B) At what point on the line joiing the two charges should a charge q = (-) 1uC be placed so that the net force on q to q1 and q2 is zero

C) Find the location of charge q for zero if the charge q2 is replaced by a charge of (-) 10 uC

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Caboose42,

You have to show an attempt at the problem before we can help you, otherwise we won't know what exactly it is that is giving you grief!

Can you write the force on the charge q as a function of position? (First pick an appropriate axis... you could call the position of q1, x=0 and the position of q2, x=10cm, for example.)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?