ASSIGNMENT QUESTIONS- with algebra equations

In summary, the person is struggling with understanding and solving equations and is seeking help. They have provided three equations, but there are some formatting issues with the second and third equations. The person also mentions that these are "assignment questions" and requests for the conversation to be moved to "homework and classwork". The expert suggests using a hint for part b) and a property for part c) to help solve the equations.
nat_94
i don't understand these equations and can't find a way to do them from my textbook or any websites please help..

(a) √(2^2+2 x 2+1)

(b) -√(〖25〗^2-) 〖24〗^2

(c) (7x +y)^2 - (7x - y)^2

Physics news on Phys.org
Because this are "assignment questions", I am moving this to "homework and classwork".

nat_94 said:
i don't understand these equations and can't find a way to do them from my textbook or any websites please help..

(a) √(2^2+2 x 2+1)
Do you know what [itex]\sqrt{a^2}[/itex] is?

(b) -√(〖25〗^2-) 〖24〗^2
This doesn't make much sense. What does [itex]\sqrt{(25)^2-}[/itex] mean?

(c) (7x +y)^2 - (7x - y)^2
surely it is not that hard to square? [itex](a+ b)^2= a^2+ 2ab+ b^2[/itex].

sorry i typed the equations on word and copy andpasted them, they changed format.
i mean
(b) -√(25^2-24^2

Can you rewrite part a? I don't understand what the equation is.

For part b) here is a clever hint: 25 = 24 + 1

For part c) use this property: [itex](a-b)(a+b)=a^{2}-b^{2}[/itex]. Can you figure out what to do from here?

Last edited:

1. What is an algebra equation?

An algebra equation is a mathematical statement that uses letters or symbols to represent unknown values, and uses operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to solve for the unknown values.

2. How do I solve an algebra equation?

To solve an algebra equation, you need to isolate the variable (the letter or symbol representing the unknown value) on one side of the equation by using inverse operations. This means performing the opposite operation on both sides of the equation until the variable is left alone on one side. Remember to apply the same operation to both sides of the equation to maintain balance.

3. What are the basic algebraic operations?

The basic algebraic operations are addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These operations can be used to manipulate equations and solve for unknown values.

4. How do I check my answer to an algebra equation?

To check your answer to an algebra equation, plug in the value you found for the variable back into the original equation. If both sides of the equation are equal, then your answer is correct.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving algebra equations?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving algebra equations include forgetting to apply the same operation to both sides of the equation, making miscalculations, and forgetting to check your answer. It is also important to carefully follow the order of operations when simplifying expressions within the equation.