Show the relationship between torque and angular momentum

In summary, the goal of this lab is to show the relationship between torque and angular momentum. The lab includes a 4" PVC coupling that rolls down a ramp, and it needs to be able to measure torque in a different way to compare the results.
Shank
<Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.>

I am trying to design and perform a physics lab. It needs to show the relationship between torque and angular momentum. I have gotten as far designing a 4" PVC coupling and have it on a ramp. I am not sure where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Shank said:
I am trying to design and perform a physics lab. It needs to show the relationship between torque and angular momentum. I have gotten as far designing a 4" PVC coupling and have it on a ramp. I am not sure where to go from here.
Is this a homework project? And could you give more details?

Yes it is. I have reworded it below:

I am trying to design and perform a physics lab. It needs to show the relationship between torque and angular momentum. I have gotten as far designing this: I have a 4" PVC coupling that rolls down a ramp.

I can figure out the moment of inertia with the mass and radius of the item. I can figure out how to get velocity by timing how long it takes to roll down the ramp. Then, the average angular velocity is the velocity divided by the radius. This multiplied by the moment of inertia gives me the angular momentum.

Now I need to relate that to torque. This means I need the angular acceleration to be multiplied by the moment of inertia. I am not sure how to get this. Also, I need to measure torque in a different way to compare the results. So I need the force applied to the pipe multiplied by the radius. The problem there is I am not sure how to calculate the force applied. Is is gravity divided by the angle of the incline?

Shank said:
done
You're done adding more details, or you are done with your lab?

1. What is torque and angular momentum?

Torque is the measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. Angular momentum is the measure of an object's rotational motion.

2. How are torque and angular momentum related?

Torque and angular momentum are directly proportional to each other. As torque increases, the angular momentum also increases.

3. What is the formula for calculating torque?

The formula for torque is: torque = force x distance. This means that the amount of torque produced is dependent on both the amount of force applied and the distance from the axis of rotation.

4. How does angular momentum affect rotational motion?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion. It determines the speed and direction of rotation of an object.

5. Can torque and angular momentum be changed?

Yes, both torque and angular momentum can be changed by altering the force and distance from the axis of rotation. Changing the distribution of mass in an object can also affect its angular momentum.